Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have a stand I've been using for years with the old ipad and iPad mini, but the iPad Air 2 is now thin enough that it doesn't stand up very well, it is too easily knocked over. I like the stand, but don't remember who made it. What's my best option for a stand I can use in landscape or portrait. I prefer it to stand pretty straight too, not laid way back.

This is the one I have:

606fd6ae6f9078e60b748402388b018b_zps24a90a06.jpg

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I have a stand I've been using for years with the old ipad and iPad mini, but the iPad Air 2 is now thin enough that it doesn't stand up very well, it is too easily knocked over. I like the stand, but don't remember who made it. What's my best option for a stand I can use in landscape or portrait. I prefer it to stand pretty straight too, not laid way back.

This is the one I have:

I recommend this:
Arkon Travel iPad and Android Tablet Stand for Apple iPad Samsung Galaxy Note Pro Galaxy Tab Nexus 7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CKVOOY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OyqDub1887AHB

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I use the Cooler Master Jas Pro, which was designed mainly for Macbook Pro but can be used for iPads. It is very sturdy in portrait mode with an iPad but the bottom holding rail, which is pretty big, can get in the way if you need to access the home button/Touch ID.

http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/tablets-series/jas-pro/

Cooler Master also do a stand for tablets called the CUBE, but I have no idea how good this is in portrait mode.

http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/tablets-series/cube/

I really like these, I almost wish I didn't order the BookArc. But one of these will be my backup for sure.

Amazon. Gibson 3-wire stand. 3A. Works a treat! Inexpensive and very useful at home or when away from home.

Is that the Fold & Go? Looks decent and certainly affordable.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
It is called the Gibson 3A 3-wire holder.....available on Amazon and probably other places as well. I think the craft store, Michael's, sells something similar, too.

I've been using these since the very first iPad and I have them all around the house so that no matter where I want to use my iPad or plop it down, there's a stand available. I fold a stand up or two up (easy to do) when traveling and therefore can use the stand in hotel rooms or wherever, especially when I need to charge up my iPad. These things are very reasonably priced and more than do the job -- no need for some overpriced "specially made for iPad" kind of gizmo. :)

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I use the Cooler Master Jas Pro, which was designed mainly for Macbook Pro but can be used for iPads. It is very sturdy in portrait mode with an iPad but the bottom holding rail, which is pretty big, can get in the way if you need to access the home button/Touch ID.

http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/tablets-series/jas-pro/

Cooler Master also do a stand for tablets called the CUBE, but I have no idea how good this is in portrait mode.

http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/tablets-series/cube/

I think I'll order one of these. I got the BookArc and it's very unsteady.

tayluftwaffel

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
I have this stand from anker, but there's another one from TechMatte that's just like it that comes with a little baggie. They seem to be essentially the same product, so... Either one!

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have this stand from anker, but there's another one from TechMatte that's just like it that comes with a little baggie. They seem to be essentially the same product, so... Either one!

Those look decent, but does the bottom grip the ipad at all so you can type on it upright? Even in portrait mode?

I ordered a stand from Twelve South today, only because I ordered a Travel Journal during the Cyber Monday deal. Doesn't look like the greatest stand, but looks like it fits nicely in the Travel Joirnal for a good portable stand when I need it.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
These air models are so light I wouldn't think of having mine out of the box without Griffins Survivor case on them. I have one on an ipad3 and ipad air1. The ip3 is in flawless condition. So nice I can't bring myself to sell its to gazelle.
Dropped it literally 100 times.
They have great stands built right into them. Not flimsy either.
Nothing cheap about the survivor case.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
These air models are so light I wouldn't think of having mine out of the box without Griffins Survivor case on them. I have one on an ipad3 and ipad air1. The ip3 is in flawless condition. So nice I can't bring myself to sell its to gazelle.
Dropped it literally 100 times.
They have great stands built right into them. Not flimsy either.
Nothing cheap about the survivor case.

That's you. I've owned every iPad exept the iPad 4 and I have never once dropped any of them. Rather then using one of these rugged tough cases which not only add bulk and weight but are ugly I rather go minimalist with a clear polycarbonate back she'll to preven scratches and a Smart Cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.