Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced its campaign for World AIDS Day 2014 done in collaboration with (Product) RED, noting that it will offer a special Apps for (RED) section in the App Store that will contain 25 apps with exclusive new content that will benefit the Global Fund to fight AIDS. In addition to these special apps, Apple will also donate a portion of its retail and online sales on Friday, November 28 and Monday, December 1.
"Apple is a proud supporter of (RED) because we believe the gift of life is the most important gift anyone can give," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "For eight years, our customers have been helping fight AIDS in Africa by funding life-saving treatments which are having a profoundly positive impact. This year we are launching our biggest fundraising push yet with the participation of Apple's retail and online stores, and some of the brightest minds in the App Store are lending their talents to the effort as well."
appsforred-800x548.jpg

The Apps for (RED) campaign in the App Store will run from Monday, November 24 to Sunday, December 7, and will include special versions of apps like Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, DJay 2, Clear, Paper, and more. On Friday, November 28, Apple's customers in the United States will receive a special (RED) iTunes gift card with the purchase of select Apple products, as the company will donate a percentage of each gift card to the Global Fund to fight AIDS. On Monday, December 1, Apple will donate a portion of every sale at its retail and online stores to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

Apple and (Product) RED have worked together for a number of years, as the organization announced in June that Apple had contributed $75 million. Throughout the history of their partnership, Apple has released a number of (RED) devices including iPod nanos and shuffles, iPad Smart Covers, iPhone Bumpers, and iPhone cases. With every (RED) product bought, Apple donates a portion of the purchase price to the charity.

Apps for (Product) RED is live in the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Announces World AIDS Day 2014 Campaign for (Product) RED Featuring 'Apps for (RED)' Section in App Store

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm going to buy the Garageband IAP. Why not, I can live without that meager amount of money and maybe do a little good.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
So basically, just like last year, Apple is giving away gift cards with their products on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Only this time around, it are RED gift cards.

I wonder how'll they'll handle Black Friday in the European countries, where gift cards weren't a viable option last year.

Sounds good: customers still get a discount that they might expect, while a fair amount of money will flow towards fighting HIV and AIDS. :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
One of the apps is Monument Valley, and I just played the new chapter--it's lovely. A nice surprise, wasn't expecting any more of the game after the expansion.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This should shut up Bono.

Who am I kidding? Nothing will shut up Bono.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Exactly why would anyone ridicule this? Product Red is one of coolest and most human things Apple does as a corporation.

Last edited:

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
Even though I really liked the fact I contributed to (Product) Red, i also enjoyed making my first in app purchase with Touch ID on my new 6 Plus!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Just bought the Garageband IAP. I realized that Star Walk is also a Product RED sponsor. I'll probably buy their IAP as well.

I like the direct donation or IAP method because I've never liked Apple's Product RED devices. If they had a black faceplate they'd probably be pretty cool.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
In Clash of Clans it is 100%. Bought some IAP gems for the first time ever.

So it's basically exploit your generosity to get you hooked on IAP and then milk you for big $ after 7/12?

I'm not sure these kinds of apps should be part of a charitable cause given their questionable tactics and practices.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
This should shut up Bono.

Who am I kidding? Nothing will shut up Bono.

Right? That guy is never done pimping something. Maybe if he took some of his trillions he could handle this by himself and stop hasseling taxpayers and Govts? Get off my back.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Won't be buying any of that then.

Your comment, and the sad fact someone already up-voted it, has just convinced me to spend twice as much as I was planning to on this. Well done.

Everyone else: please up-vote this post if you plan on doing the same as me.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
This is awesome! I really appreciate what Apple is doing with the Red color
Red rules!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Go Big Red....

Oh wait, just read the article and see that this is not about college football.

Never mind.

:D;):cool:

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
woop woop got monument valley's extra level. only app from this bunch i "use", even thought i have had bought like 3-4 of them already. hey who knows one day i might be into star gazing, hopefully there wont be a newer version by then

Last edited:

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
A man dies and sits with God, and as they are looking down on the world, they both see disease, famine, wars, and natural disasters' effect on humanity. The man, after watching, says, "Father, you had the power to stop all of this and end our suffering. Why didn't you?"
God smiles, and says, "Son, our perspectives are different. Yes, I am omnipotent, and I could have stopped all of that, but I did do one thing to stop it: I gave you that power to see all of this and do a part in stopping all this. Why didn't you stop all of this?"

This is our chance to do a small part in helping out those in need, and get some software in the deal.

It's win-win (and if you believe in God, it's win-win-win!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.