Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gosseries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
yesterday, I got about 10 minutes after booting my Mac Mini, and this happens on several occasions, without a reason, a radio transmitter through my integrated Mac Mini speaker.
I don't know its origin ( no iTunes on, no Safari and even all network connections, including Wifi on Off). I closed all programs, the sound of the transmitter still there. What the hell was happening? This morning, it is until now, away.I( wonder where it came from. The transmitter is a well known radio station in my country.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
yesterday, I got about 10 minutes after booting my Mac Mini, and this happens on several occasions, without a reason, a radio transmitter through my integrated Mac Mini speaker.
I don't know its origin ( no iTunes on, no Safari and even all network connections, including Wifi on Off). I closed all programs, the sound of the transmitter still there. What the hell was happening? This morning, it is until now, away.I( wonder where it came from. The transmitter is a well known radio station in my country.

Most likely not the minis fault:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2010/mar/03/pc-speakers-pick-up-radio

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
He specifically stated that the sound is coming through the INTEGRATED speakers which would inherently make it a mini-issue.

I get the same thing on my mini but in my case it IS through external Bose companion speakers that I have hooked up to my system. I've never heard of it coming directly through the internal speakers.

Valid. Either way. Shielding/poor wiring possibly even from his home wiring is possibly at fault. RFI is a pretty big deal.....

Butchie-T

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Colorado
Yep,

Sounds like a grounding problem. the OP may want to look into how well their home is grounded. With RF, anything metallic can be an antenna, both receiving and transmitting.

To the OP, you may want to build yourself a faraday shield and place it over your Mac Mini to see if you can reduce the effects of the RF interference you are experiencing. Atmospheric conditions will also play into the equation as well. D and E atmospheric layers expanding and contracting, time of day, sunspots all play into RF and how it can "get into" electronic devices.

RF is a cool and wonderful thing sometimes. To a Ham Radio Operator (I are one), it is a great thing to be able to communicate with someone on the other side of the globe. To the home audiophile, it is an extreme nuisance.

You can also try RF chokes connected onto your power cords to see if that reduces the effects of the stray RF that you are experiencing.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
RF is a cool and wonderful thing sometimes. To a Ham Radio Operator (I are one), it is a great thing to be able to communicate with someone on the other side of the globe. To the home audiophile, it is an extreme nuisance.

Halogen and LED lights are becoming a big issue for causing noise problems on ham bands. Ain't technology fun?

Butchie-T

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Colorado
Halogen and LED lights are becoming a big issue for causing noise problems on ham bands. Ain't technology fun?

Oh yeah it is. Add to that those danged touch lamps too!!! Those things are nothing more than major RFI generators to the ham bands. Especially in the 40 meter area. That band is noisy enough as it is without those lamps adding to the QRM!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.