Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I have a client who needs to upgrade from Quicken 2006 to Quicken 2015 so that she can upgrade her white MacBook from Snow Leopard to Yosemite.

Can she import qif files into Quicken 2015, or does she need to upgrade to Quicken 2007 first? Is the upgrade to 2007 seamless?

Thanks.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I went from Quicken 2007 to Quicken Essentials and discovered a bit of a problem along the way. We were running Snow Leopard and had just upgraded to Lion. A few weeks later we did the upgrade to Quicken Essentials and discovered that none of our old Quicken data would transfer over. It turned out there was a program included with Quicken called "Quicken File Exchange Utility" that needed to be run to prepare your data. The problem was that QFEU wouldn't run under Lion or better! I ended up having to pull out an external firewire drive and install Snow Leopard on it just to run this one application. Once I got the data run through QFEU, the transition went smoothly.

So of you are doing the upgrade, just be sure to run QFEU first since she's still got Snow Leopard on her MacBook. After that, you can update the OS and should be OK.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I went from Quicken 2007 to Quicken Essentials and discovered a bit of a problem along the way. We were running Snow Leopard and had just upgraded to Lion. A few weeks later we did the upgrade to Quicken Essentials and discovered that none of our old Quicken data would transfer over. It turned out there was a program included with Quicken called "Quicken File Exchange Utility" that needed to be run to prepare your data. The problem was that QFEU wouldn't run under Lion or better! I ended up having to pull out an external firewire drive and install Snow Leopard on it just to run this one application. Once I got the data run through QFEU, the transition went smoothly.

So of you are doing the upgrade, just be sure to run QFEU first since she's still got Snow Leopard on her MacBook. After that, you can update the OS and should be OK.

Where do we get QFEU? And will that facilitate a transfer of data from 2006 to 2015? Or do we still need to go to Quicken 2007 first as well?

Is Quicken Essentials the same as Quicken 2015 in this regard?

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Ok, I did a little more reading and it appears that in your case, you may need to upgrade from Quicken '06 to Quicken '07 first. There is a disclaimer on the Intuit website that says Quicken 2015 can only import from Quicken 2007 and up. You may still need to use QFEU to prepair your data once you migrate from '06 to '07. (BTW QFEU is a piece of software that's included with the install). Again, do all this under Snow Leopard first before you jump to Yosemite.

Intuit has been inconsistent with Mac versions and naming conventions. We went from Quicken 2005, to 2006, to 2007, then to Quicken Essentials (which was quite stripped down). I've heard Quicken 2015 referred to as "Quicken Essentials 2", but that's probably not a formal name. My recommendations are based on my experience with Essentials. I can't imagine Intuit made Quicken '15 more reverse compatible.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.