Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I was using my MBP, and it was slow to load a page with a lot of media content on it. So the little rainbow loading circle came up, and it loaded the page, but when it did, it started making loud fan noises. I immediately closed the lid and let it sleep, and noticed the bottom was very hot - I was sitting on my bed and it tends to get hot when not on a flat surface seemingly. I gave it a moment and then opened it back up, and the noises are seemingly gone, and all seems well.

Anyway, is this normal? Anything wrong with my MBP?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
The fans were running at high speeds because your MBP was hot. If they did not speed up then your MBP will overheat and melt. That's what the fans are for. It is completely normal. :rolleyes:

BTW, The fans are always running at a base speed, usually 2000 RPM, but you don't hear it.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
If you read the manual that came with your MBP, you will see that they do mention that you should not put the on a bed or pillow. You will trap the heat and make the fans run hotter! Always put the laptop on a flat surface.

Also you can download a widget called iStat and you can measure cpu temp and etc and fan speeds!

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
If you read the manual that came with your MBP, you will see that they do mention that you should not put the on a bed or pillow. You will trap the heat and make the fans run hotter! Always put the laptop on a flat surface.

Also you can download a widget called iStat and you can measure cpu temp and etc and fan speeds!

Just be sure not to obstruct the vent, and that is all you really need.

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
The fans were running at high speeds because your MBP was hot. If they did not speed up then your MBP will overheat and melt. That's what the fans are for. It is completely normal. :rolleyes:

BTW, The fans are always running at a base speed, usually 2000 RPM, but you don't hear it.

So, it doesn't matter that it happened as soon as I started to load a webpage?

Thanks for your helpful reply, and thanks for all who replied.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
So, it doesn't matter that it happened as soon as I started to load a webpage?

Thanks for your helpful reply, and thanks for all who replied.

The fans didn't kick in just cause of the webpage. The CPU/GPU/HDD and other components have Temp sensors and report to the system. When the temps go higher, the fans speed goes higher too. Since you had the laptop on the bed, the heat was trapped inside and when you opened the page, by coincidence the fans kicked in too.

When you're working on bed, use a piece of wood or a book to put the laptop on, given it space on the lower part. It will help a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.