Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itabmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
I'm new to NAS setups and have been looking at the DS415+.
I have never owned an NAS type drive before, I have always had USB/Thunderbolt before.
Currently I have all my media (about 8TB) on a Thunderbolt drive and running out of space.
I stream all my video and music via iTunes to the Apple TV.
It seems as I'm always close to running out of space and I want to avoid this.
The NAS drives seem to be a cost effective solution with a lot of space.
I have a few questions about this type setup, Thanks for the help. :)

1. Do I have to buy all the drives at once, or can I add more down the road?
If I add more, does the whole setup have to be reformatted when adding new drives?
2. Can this drive be accessed and copy files over to it via finder?, Or do I use the web interface?
3. Can this model handle streaming large 1080p movies to the Apple TV or a Plex setup?
4. How noisy are these type drives? ATM I have a WD 8TB Thunderbolt and it makes no noise aside from spinning up.

Thanks Again for the help, Very much appreciated

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
1) yes but if you use the RAID feature you can count on a reformat when adding a drive.

2) you can use the finder, the NAS will show up as a shared drive.

3) It won't stream to an AppleTV well. Plex perhaps, but if you are heavy into video and have a lot of it you would be better served by a mini server. I made the same mistake last year. If you also want to use the networked storage for Time Machine, you will definitely want to think about a server type solution.

4) noise depends on the drives you select, the enclosure fan itself is quiet. Mine is pretty quiet.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
3) AFAIK, the genuine streaming to aTV (AirPlay) is only possible from the 415play model (it includes the AVC hardware encoder). Still, as it can not be included into HomeSharing ecosystem, you will not be able to browse this media library directly from aTV's UI.

Parigot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal
1- Synology offers 'Synology Hybrid RAID' that allows you to have disks of different sizes. Then you can upgrade any disk at any time with a bigger size one without the need to format the volume. Now, to start, you don't need all 4 drives but you do need at least 3 AFAIK.

2- You can access it through the Finder like any other volume.

3- Yes it should work fine.

4- From what I heard, it is pretty silent.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.