Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Weekly Photo Contest: November 26 to December 3 - In The Shadows

Welcome to this week's photo contest thread!

Theme: In The Shadows

What have you found in the shadows? Everyone has taken great shots in the light but what if you search for something in the shadows? Technically it will be a skilled shot that manages to expose for the shadows whilst hiding or skilfully framing the highlights without blowing them!

It can be the whole frame, the subject or just a part where your eyes are drawn to!

Rules:

1. Be creative and have fun.

2. Please submit only one photo per contest.

3. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

4. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

5. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner - me) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

6. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/580184/

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Straight out of the camera, no tweaking at all. This is from my first digital camera, a Sony F505, which was essentially all-auto. An amazing amount of detail left in the highlights, the shadow was basically pitch black to the naked eye unless you got right in there.

Attachments

• Shadow.jpg
    Shadow.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 163

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
*NOT AN ENTRY* Found a picture from the same batch showing the beach-side drift-log-fort from further out, with the darkness of the shadow more visible. Just including for reference for the above.

Attachments

• ShadowLong.jpg
    ShadowLong.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 169

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Not sure if this counts as I intentionally blew the highlights whilst exposing for the shadows of the leaf.
15216622038_ef50075365_b.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
The shadow of Mt Shasta (14,180) stretching out over Northern California.

p161461679-5.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hey guys!

This has finished! Strapped for time at the mo but will try and find time to critique tonight as I like to waffle on a bit!

Feel free to submit extras up until I comment tonight.

britincan

macrumors member
I know the contest is closed, but I just wanted to upload this one from a local Ribfest event taken in the summer. It was the first time I'd used my Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART lens. I'm very impressed with it's sharpness, even at crazy iso's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 173

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll admit to being curious as to how this will turn out. In fact, I'll admit to having been intrigued by the premise and title of the week's contest, as I love studying the play of light and shadow on whatever it is one chooses to photograph.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Weekly Photo Contest: November 26 to December 3 - In The Shadows

I think I may have misinterpreted the brief this week as I thought it was about revealing what was in the shadows and not showing shots with shadows, which is the way everyone else seems to have gone.

I think that Anonymous freak went the same way as me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think I may have misinterpreted the brief this week as I thought it was about revealing what was in the shadows and not showing shots with shadows, which is the way everyone else seems to have gone.

Only Archie knows! And he has obviously been on the sauce all weekend :D

----------

I'll admit to being curious as to how this will turn out. In fact, I'll admit to having been intrigued by the premise and title of the week's contest, as I love studying the play of light and shadow on whatever it is one chooses to photograph.

Why not submit an entry?

thebro20

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014

i think a lot of pictures, mine included, the shadows were blocking part of the image and it was exposed more (while taking the image or in pp) to reveal what was in the shadow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.