Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
:(

I'm have iPhone 6 less than a month, and iPad Air 2 less than a week. This is the period where I least enjoyed iOS.

My iPad is very buggy, especially video playing from Safari and multitasking gestures. Every day the multitasking gestures would fail, EVERY-SINGLE-DAY. You're using iPad normally then bam! pinch to Home Screen not working. And there's no way to fix it apart from restarting.
..which you'll lose Touch ID capability (you need to enter the passwords again - password for log-in, password in the Stores)
Playing video from Safari also is very buggy. Sometimes the control is not responsive, or simply stuck. You can quit Safari and re-open and the video player would behave normally again but just for a while. Sometimes when you tap "Done", nothing happened. You can only re-start to fix this. And then you'd need to re-enter all the passwords again.
At the moment, I simply turn off Multi-Fingers Gestures.

I never experienced this level of bugginess before. iOS's (4-6) always smooth and most reliable to me. But I never restored from back-up before and this is the first time. This might be the cause.

My iPhone 6, however, began as new and it's a smooth sailing.. until today. Today I woke up to find all my Active Calories from Strava, but the latest one, was gone. I can re-input them manually since Strava kept all the records online but this shouldn't happening, especially on Health. Think about one day your important Health datas just simply disappear. What a horror!
If there's any app that should be the most reliable, it's Health!

This is the worst experience I have from iOS. I had iPhone for a short while. It's on iOS 4-5. I had iPad 2 until a few months ago and mostly it's on iOS 4-6 and it's always rock solid. If Apple not get the acts together very soon they can kiss goodbye those Customer Sat stat they love to brag about on stage.

:end rants:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I don't have any of those issues and I use my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus regularly. I do notice on the iPhone 6 Plus, sometimes the control center takes a while to register I'm trying to slide up. Thats really the only annoyance for me.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
iOS 8 is the 2nd buggiest release ever.

I think 7.0.x was the worst, on 64-bit devices specifically. I've heard/read it was ok on 32-bit, but when I got my rMini last year, using Safari for 20 minutes it crashed a countless amount of times. It was SO bad I was ready to return to my iPad 3 on 6.1.x if it weren't for 7.1 beta 2 being jail breakable and removing the expiration on it. I rode that out until 7.1.2 pangu.

I think 6.0.x on iPhone 5 was the third worst, sliding up to take a photo quick would cause respring pretty frequently, and not just on mine, but reproducible on a lot.

I can't believe they don't squash these bugs. Of course x.1 is usually way better, but in this instance, its really just glorified 8.0 with Applepay shoehorned into it. I hope with subsequent versions, its not just shoehorning in watch functionality/additional revenue stream, but actually addressing weird inconsistencies.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I don't have any of those issues and I use my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus regularly. I do notice on the iPhone 6 Plus, sometimes the control center takes a while to register I'm trying to slide up. Thats really the only annoyance for me.

Do you restore from backup for your iPad or it's just your first one?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I think you've taken it over the top. iOS 8 isn't that bad.

It's pretty good feature-wise but from reliability perspective it's pretty bad. Most of it is Touch ID's playing psychology effect on you though, because you have this great feature but you just can not use it when you need to re-starting your device too often.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Now I can't access Control Center and Notification Center. :eek::eek:

I'm not even kidding. The only swipe gesture working now is Spotlight. Sigh...

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

I'm have iPhone 6 less than a month, and iPad Air 2 less than a week. This is the period where I least enjoyed iOS.

My iPad is very buggy, especially video playing from Safari and multitasking gestures. Every day the multitasking gestures would fail, EVERY-SINGLE-DAY. You're using iPad normally then bam! pinch to Home Screen not working. And there's no way to fix it apart from restarting.
..which you'll lose Touch ID capability (you need to enter the passwords again - password for log-in, password in the Stores)
Playing video from Safari also is very buggy. Sometimes the control is not responsive, or simply stuck. You can quit Safari and re-open and the video player would behave normally again but just for a while. Sometimes when you tap "Done", nothing happened. You can only re-start to fix this. And then you'd need to re-enter all the passwords again.

I never experienced this level of bugginess before. iOS's (4-6) always smooth and most reliable to me. But I never restored from back-up before and this is the first time. This might be the cause.

My iPhone 6, however, began as new and it's a smooth sailing.. until today. Today I woke up to find all my Active Calories from Strava, but the latest one, was gone. I can re-input them manually since Strava kept all the records online but this shouldn't happening, especially on Health. Think about one day your important Health datas just simply disappear. What a horror!

This is the worst experience I have from iOS. I had iPhone for a short while. It's on iOS 4-5. I had iPad 2 until a few months ago and mostly it's on iOS 4-6 and it's always rock solid. If Apple not get the acts together very soon they can kiss goodbye those Customer Sat stat they love to brag about on stage.

Maybe you should kiss Apple goodbye. The experience is really not bad on iOS 8. If entering a password or turning off gestures annoys you that much than you might have issues more serious than ios 8.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I restored from back up from my former iPad Mini. It has stuff from iOS 6 till now without a restore and works fine.

There goes my back--up theory. I'm thinking about wiping it clean though. It's just too buggy at the moment.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Why don't you get get your phone swapped from Genius bar?

If same bugs are encountered on new handset, then you can sell it off for a healthy amount by not making any loss and temporarily switch to Android.

Next year's 64bit Android phones will up their RAM size to 4 GB or higher and then Apple will really feel the heat where their overpriced phones will be no match to Android's multitasking.

I am content with my iPhone 5c as it is 32 bit and 1 GB is barely ok for it.

I will buy next iPhone 6S+ (or whatever they are calling it) only if it has 2 GB RAM. If Androids which are supposed to be the most poorly optimized phones on the planet take the easy route of adding more RAM, then why can't Apple do the same?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I feel the latest iOS 8.1.1 is pretty stable but I have seen the gestures stop on occasion. Alls you have to do is turn them off and then back on and that resets them. I'm sure we'll get a fix for that soon.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I had the multi tasking gestures problem as well and so have a lot of people it seems. However it seems to have gone away. Must have been 8.1.1 that fixed that for me. Oddly enough I also had that video stuck in Safari once just last week and haven't been able to recreate it since. Convinced it was the website. Your problems aren't unknown but if you're getting them more frequently than others even after the update then perhaps you need to do a fresh install.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Why don't you get get your phone swapped from Genius bar?

My phone is fine at the moment. Most of the problem I'm having is on my iPad. One bug on iPhone could come from Strava rather than iOS itself. I'm waiting for Strava response to my email.

----------

Your problems aren't unknown but if you're getting them more frequently than others even after the update then perhaps you need to do a fresh install.

Yeah, considering to do just that. All my photo on iPad were just uploaded to iCloud Photo Library. Guess I'm safe to do one now.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
My phone is fine at the moment. Most of the problem I'm having is on my iPad. One bug on iPhone could come from Strava rather than iOS itself. I'm waiting for Strava response to my email.

----------

Yeah, considering to do just that. All my photo on iPad were just uploaded to iCloud Photo Library. Guess I'm safe to do one now.

Back up all your photos on your computer. I won't trust only the cloud for back up

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010

This is getting interesting. Remember Multi-fingers Gestures stopped working on my iPad? I switched it off and didn't re-start. And later I can't swiped for Control Centre and Notification Centre. Only Spotlight worked.
I still didn't re-start. I was thinking about doing a fresh install.

Today I grabbed my iPad to check some news and with curiosity I swiped up for Control Centre.. and it worked! Suddenly it just worked. :eek:
So I turned on multi-fingers Gestures and that worked too. And I don't even have to do a restart.

What's just happening? :eek::eek:

This iPad is really strange.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Absolutely love my 6 Plus tremendously, Touch ID works all the time very fast and consistent and extremely accurate, I have no bugs that I suffer with, my phone is absolutely buttery smooth with Reduce Transparency on and yeah...I am loving my Plus a ton and have not encountered any bugs/glitches of my self besides once in a while I cant swipe the Control Center up from the lock screen , I have to turn off screen and turn on back real fast, not a big deal at all, just saying

----------

This is getting interesting. Remember Multi-fingers Gestures stopped working on my iPad? I switched it off and didn't re-start. And later I can't swiped for Control Centre and Notification Centre. Only Spotlight worked.
I still didn't re-start. I was thinking about doing a fresh install.

Today I grabbed my iPad to check some news and with curiosity I swiped up for Control Centre.. and it worked! Suddenly it just worked. :eek:
So I turned on multi-fingers Gestures and that worked too. And I don't even have to do a restart.

What's just happening? :eek::eek:

This iPad is really strange.

Try a hard reset , Lock button and home button until screen turns off , helps alot with wonkiness that you may be experiencing, and I also recommend updating to 8.1.1 if you havent already

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

You should feel lucky you didn't get a 6+. My wife's 6 performs much better than my 6+. My 6+ freshly restored bogs down much faster than the 5S that it replaced. Add the random stutters and dropped frames and it feels like a POS.

----------

Another known bug. Toggle the setting and it will work for awhile.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I've pretty much already had it with iOS 8. In the process of trading my 6 for a Note 4.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've pretty much already had it with iOS 8. In the process of trading my 6 for a Note 4.

Good luck. 8.1.1 in ipad 2 and 5s works quite well. The biggest thing it needs to get sorted is portrait vs landscape. Weird thing is after three+ weeks randomly started to drop wifi connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.