Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
After i got the iPad Air 2 i was very happy with my new device. Its the 128GB with sim card. I still own my iPad Air 1 so i started to make some experiments.
After i saw that the iPhone 6 Plus with 128Gb use inferior TLC nand i told myself check your new pad and i was shocked to see its also TLC. At first i told myself its sure not a big diffrence. So i took a video file that is 1700MB big and installed it via itunes. The iPad Air one transfered the file in 47 Seconds. The iPad Air 2 use 58 Seconds. Than i used a file that is 450MB big. This one took one the Air 14 seconds. On the Air 2 18 Seconds. So without any doubt the used nand is slower. Im very very disapointet by Apple. And the most ridiculous thing is that the ones that have buyed the 16gb version of the iPad Air 2 got the better MLC nand. We that payed a premium price are the loosers. And the best is Apple is planning to put in future I pads the better MLC again. We the early buyers are the loosers. Since the iPhone 3GS I bought every apple product. I'm guessing it's time to quit.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I believe it only affects the 128GB models. Apple stopped using TLC in their iPhone's. I would hope they did the same with the iPad's. If so you can exchange it during the warranty period.

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
I considered this

I believe it only affects the 128GB models. Apple stopped using TLC in their iPhone's. I would hope they did the same with the iPad's. If so you can exchange it during the warranty period.

Yeah it went true my mind. How can they use such ****** nand. I'm hopping they will change them in both, because I have the 6plus and iPad Air 2 and both with the TLc nand. The only problem is I'm not sure if Apple realy will abandon the TLC NAND.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I know there's a way using Terminal and OpenSSH, or MobileTerminal, but has anyone come up with a simpler way to check the memory type? I have a 128GB iPhone amd a 128GB iPad and now I'm curious as to what they have in them.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yeah it went true my mind. How can they use such ****** nand. I'm hopping they will change them in both, because I have the 6plus and iPad Air 2 and both with the TLc nand. The only problem is I'm not sure if Apple realy will abandon the TLC NAND.

They will make the switch over to either a different TLC Nand or back to MLC. The questions are:

1) How many 128GB iDevices did Apple mfg?

2) When will the new Nand iDevices enter production?

3) Will they honor the design flaw and swap those devices in question?

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
If its the ipad air 2 and iphone 6 they are TLC. But there is simple tool on pyger that tells you

----------

I mean all 128gb are TLC

----------

Imagine a ipad Air 2 with MLC WOULD BE A AWESOME DEVICE

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

I don't know that this is conclusive, though it appears they seem to be doing something about it.

I guarantee :apple: is still as of today selling new in box devices with TLC. And replacements as well.

and as aforementioned, I believe all 128 of current gen air and iPhone are TLC, subject to change to a mix.

64 is a mix, my 6+ is MLC, and 16 I think is all MLC

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
A 12 second difference? Very disappoint! The nerve of Apple to steal precious seconds from our lives!

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
Im not sure if they can change the tlc nand cause it uses 33% less room. Maybe that how they achieved to make the ipad that thinn. Its crazy

----------

A 12 second difference? Very disappoint! The nerve of Apple to steal precious seconds from our lives!
Its Not just much slower, it have a much shorter lifespan.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
When I receive my 64 Air 2 from Best Buy i'll check it. Can you run the test without JB'ing the iPad? :confused:

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
When I receive my 64 Air 2 from Best Buy i'll check it. Can you run the test without JB'ing the iPad? :confused:

You can be sure to 100% it's TLC and no I have posted a link where you can check it without jailbreak

----------

I never hade so many issues like with the iPhone 6 plus and the iPad Air 2.
Apps crash more often. It resprings quite often. I have only 96 apps installed, so it's not the problem where guys installed 600-1000 apps. I don't even think they used TLC because it's cheaper. One MLC GB costs 90cents while TLC costs 70 cents. I guess the sole reason for using TLC was that it uses 33% less room and as bonus cost less. They where thinking nobody will ever even notice.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You can be sure to 100% it's TLC and no I have posted a link where you can check it without jailbreak

----------

I never hade so many issues like with the iPhone 6 plus and the iPad Air 2.
Apps crash more often. It resprings quite often. I have only 96 apps installed, so it's not the problem where guys installed 600-1000 apps. I don't even think they used TLC because it's cheaper. One MLC GB costs 90cents while TLC costs 70 cents. I guess the sole reason for using TLC was that it uses 33% less room and as bonus cost less. They where thinking nobody will ever even notice.

Well thanks for the info. I guess it's going back. I will run the test anyway but no way am I keeping a device with faulty components. I lived thru the Nvidia GPU fiasco awhile back.

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
Well thanks for the info. I guess it's going back. I will run the test anyway but no way am I keeping a device with faulty components. I lived thru the Nvidia GPU fiasco awhile back.

I'M sorry to give you such bad information. I wish somebody would have told me before I went to buy the air 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.