Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
Theoretically, yes.

Realistically, no. Anything outside of changing RAM will void the computer's warranty.

Yea, I know that. Just was wondering if the slots are there for the PCIe blade SSD. In 3 years when applecare runs out, I have no issues splitting this sucker open and installing one if I can. Just thinking about upgradability.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
And note the parts iFixit refers you to are Apple parts. So yeah, depending on your skill you can probably replace the flash. But there doesn't seem to be much (anything?) available from anyone but Apple to replace it. And given the cost, seems like a bad bargain to pass on the upgrade when you buy the machine in hopes of adding it later.

And in the real world the utility of doing an internal flash swap over external solutions seems rather minimal.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
And in the real world the utility of doing an internal flash swap over external solutions seems rather minimal.

Internal flash drives on the iMac retina run at about 1.8 times the speed of external thunderbolt SATA3 SSDs. Being able to replace the Apple flash with a 3rd-party unit of larger capacity down the track would be a bonus no?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The iMac Retina comes with a PCIe SSD stock - in the form of the "Fusion Drive" - a small SSD [/i]plus[/i] a spinning hard drive. You can upgrade to a larger Fusion Drive (which increases the size of the spinning hard drive,) or upgrade to flash-only storage (which removes the spinning hard drive and increases the size of the SSD.)

Either way, it has a PCIe SSD in it, which could theoretically be upgraded later.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Internal flash drives on the iMac retina run at about 1.8 times the speed of external thunderbolt SATA3 SSDs. Being able to replace the Apple flash with a 3rd-party unit of larger capacity down the track would be a bonus no?

Agreed, which is why I am currently using a Thunderbolt-connected SSD with my Late 2013 iMac and am hoping that once my AppleCare expires in two years time there will be either third party PCIe SSD options or Apple's own parts will be more readily available (and cheaper).

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007

But they run at half the speed of external Thunderbolt 2 SSD RAID arrays. LaCie LBD2...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.