Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I don't mean it necessarily in a bad way. My family is a bit weird and I just didn't feel like driving a few hours today so I stayed at home.

I've kind of run out of things to do with the day off. :confused:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't mean it necessarily in a bad way. My family is a bit weird and I just didn't feel like driving a few hours today so I stayed at home.

I've kind of run out of things to do with the day off. :confused:

That's why we are here! Grab a coffee, and get involved in the discussion!

ALL families are weird by the way!

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I'm loving my holiday alone. I had pumpkin pie for breakfast, watching Modern Family marathon, playing Candy Crush, put a turkey breast in the oven, opened a really nice bottle of wine, more Candy Crush, put some stuffing in the oven. Online shopping, more wine, etc.

I didn't even have a shower this morning, still in my sweats and uggs, didn't have to rush out anywhere.

Do some nice things for yourself today.

And yes, everyone's family is weird.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Yeah everybody's family is definitely weird.

Good to see other people are enjoying their holiday. I'm just shopping on my iPad, drinking Moscow Mules, and listening to music. Not bad at all. A little lonely kind of but nothing depressing.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Technically not alone as my family is downstairs, working themselves into a hyper state, but I'd prefer to stay up here and draw or web surf. Unfortunately my dog has a bit of shepherd apparently & keeps trying to herd me downstairs to socialize. What a nag. ;)

Chuck Rodent

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
I am an American living in Canada and have no family close by. So yes I am alone and had to go to work today.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I had lunch with my family and left, I do not feel fine with them. I was expecting to be with friends but my car started to sound strange so I just went to get a pizza and that is it. I am fine. They should have better movies on TV today, not just Batman Begins :s

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Thankfully I wasn't alone. That being said, I'm a blue collar kind of guy with a yuppy family. I feel uncomfortable around them so I spend the holidays with friends who think and act the way I do..

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Took a nap through half the day and I'm about to make some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I stopped celebrating holidays shortly after my Mom passed away. I prefer it this way now and I have zero stress through December and all the rest of the year.

I've never been a very social person and since both my parents have been gone, I was finally able to give up holidays that haven't been fun since I was a kid.

Other than napping, I've been watching Parks and Recreation. I bought last season but never watched it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm loving my holiday alone. I had pumpkin pie for breakfast, watching Modern Family marathon, playing Candy Crush, put a turkey breast in the oven, opened a really nice bottle of wine, more Candy Crush, put some stuffing in the oven. Online shopping, more wine, etc.

I didn't even have a shower this morning, still in my sweats and uggs, didn't have to rush out anywhere.

Do some nice things for yourself today.

And yes, everyone's family is weird.

You hedonist! ;)

I am an American living in Canada and have no family close by. So yes I am alone and had to go to work today.

Sorry to hear that. As you probably know, Canada has a Thanksgiving tradition on Oct 12, not that that helps with family separation. In my career I've spent many TDays away from family and friends stuck in a hotel so I can relate.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I used to work at the movie theaters as a teenager. I will say that there are a lot of people who are alone during the holidays. Not just Thanksgiving, but all of them. I worked enough of those holidays to see them come to the movies alone to do something enjoyable.

I also know people who prefer to have a quiet time, and I can respect that. I don't think its wrong to be alone, its just different.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Some of the most enjoyable holidays my husband & I had were spent away from home and extended family, usually on a work project in another state or country. No real expectations, no snippiness, things might be more exotic--like imported holiday food from around the world in a tropical place, it was fun to enjoy the differences & similarities but somewhere new. Less likely to pick up the flu too.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Although we don't have Thanksgiving, I think the general expectations are the same for Christmas. The adverts have been playing for weeks showing a big extended family all enjoying Christmas together.
The reality for most is somewhat different. When people separate or get divorced, the children have to choose who to spend Christmas with, even as adults. It just turns in to a lot of hassle, and somebody gets left out.
I spend Christmas with my wife and daughter. It will be a very different day to the one on the adverts. But everybody is different. If being alone is what you want to do then enjoy. If its not but you find yourself alone anyway, why not volunteer at your local homeless shelter? Years ago I knew a group who ran a Christmas dinner for the homeless. They always said it was much more enjoyable than the traditional thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.