Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hello friends! I am considering buying a 6+ Unlocked for myself. I have an iPhone 5s on contract for two years. If I were to put the 5s sim in the 6+, would there be any problems with Verizon? Thanks!

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Hello friends! I am considering buying a 6+ Unlocked for myself. I have an iPhone 5s on contract for two years. If I were to put the 5s sim in the 6+, would there be any problems with Verizon? Thanks!

Thats the beauty of the GSM is that you can put your existing sim in any gsm compatible phone (as long as it is unlocked) all day regardless wether that line is on contract or not. That is one of the reasons i ve been with att and tmobile my whole life.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Thats the beauty of the GSM is that you can put your existing sim in any gsm compatible phone (as long as it is unlocked) all day regardless wether that line is on contract or not. That is one of the reasons i ve been with att and tmobile my whole life.

But wait, my phone is CDMA because it's on Verizon...will it still work?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have not lived in the US for a couple of years and it is possible that Verizon might have changed since then. It is very interesting reading the answers to the question asked here but I seem to remember that Verizon was running a CDMA network and the SIM card was really for use on GSM networks and when travelling international using a Verizon phone.

Unless there has been major changes then I would say the answer to your question is no.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have not lived in the US for a couple of years and it is possible that Verizon might have changed since then. It is very interesting reading the answers to the question asked here but I seem to remember that Verizon was running a CDMA network and the SIM card was really for use on GSM networks and when travelling international using a Verizon phone.

Unless there has been major changes then I would say the answer to your question is no.

Both the 5s and 6 are LTE devices. Verizon uses SIMs now, so swapping works. For that matter the CDMA radios are active even in the AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 6 so you can put an active Verizon SIM in them and it will work.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
FWIW, I just picked up a VZW iPhone 6 at Best Buy. In the parking lot (before turning the new phone on) I swapped the SIM out of my 5s and put it in the 6, and it's up and running with no issues.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
FWIW, I just picked up a VZW iPhone 6 at Best Buy. In the parking lot (before turning the new phone on) I swapped the SIM out of my 5s and put it in the 6, and it's up and running with no issues.

Thats why verizon iphone 5s was, and still is very desired model for people who want the truly global phone.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Both the 5s and 6 are LTE devices. Verizon uses SIMs now, so swapping works. For that matter the CDMA radios are active even in the AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 6 so you can put an active Verizon SIM in them and it will work.

Still not convinced on this one. Until August 2014 Verizon was carrying only data on LTE and voice calls on their CDMA network. The introduction of VoLTE this year allowed Verizon to start using LTE for voice but not on the 5s only on the 6. This would surely have required the Iphone 5s IMEI to be registered on the CDMA network.

It is also likely that neither the Verizon LTE network or VoLTE are universally available across the US and hence the Iphone six would need to roam onto the CDMA network and surely still need to be registered on there which involves more than a SIM change.

Last edited:

lilfool4life

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Miami, FL
Still not convinced on this one. Until August 2014 Verizon was carrying only data on LTE and voice calls on their CDMA network. The introduction of VoLTE this year allowed Verizon to start using LTE for voice but not on the 5s only on the 6. This would surely have required the Iphone 5s IMEI to be registered on the CDMA network.

It is also likely that neither the Verizon LTE network or VoLTE are universally available across the US and hence the iPhone six would need to roam onto the CDMA network and surely still need to be registered on there which involves more than a SIM change.

But Verizon's iPhone 5s and up are unlock devices which means you can take it to other companies to use, besides sprint I believe (don't quote me on that). So the 5s, 6 and 6 plus from verizon can be used on AT&T and T-mobile as well. I know this for a fact as my sister took her phone to AT&T and it works perfectly fine with no problems.

As far as using the 5s sim to the 6/6 plus, it still works fine including the VoLTE which again I know for a fact it works from experience.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

It is also likely that neither the Verizon LTE network or VoLTE are universally available across the US and hence the Iphone six would need to roam onto the CDMA network and surely still need to be registered on there which involves more than a SIM change.

I tried it myself with a Verizon SIM in a "T-Mobile" iPhone 6. Everything worked, including 1xRTT when I turned off LTE entirely. The CDMA radio is turned on in all US iPhones.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
But Verizon's iPhone 5s and up are unlock devices which means you can take it to other companies to use, besides sprint I believe (don't quote me on that). So the 5s, 6 and 6 plus from verizon can be used on AT&T and T-mobile as well. I know this for a fact as my sister took her phone to AT&T and it works perfectly fine with no problems.

As far as using the 5s sim to the 6/6 plus, it still works fine including the VoLTE which again I know for a fact it works from experience.

We are discussing two different issues. I am Aware you can take a Verizon phone to any GSM/LTE network like ATT TMobile etc. but that is not the subject of the discussion.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I tried it myself with a Verizon SIM in a "T-Mobile" iPhone 6. Everything worked, including 1xRTT when I turned off LTE entirely. The CDMA radio is turned on in all US iPhones.

Just wondering, is the CDMA radio activated in the international variants of the iPhone 6/6+?

As far as I know, the only thing that differentiates the international variant from the North American variant is the addition of 4 TDD-LTE bands.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just wondering, is the CDMA radio activated in the international variants of the iPhone 6/6+?

As far as I know, the only thing that differentiates the international variant from the North American variant is the addition of 4 TDD-LTE bands.

I believe it is. That's the same model that Sprint gets. There is a third version sold only in China that has the 4 TD-LTE bands but not the CDMA radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.