Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumid

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
First, I know I can google this easily and find 5 ways to do it. Im just curious if there is a way I can do it without having to re install some huge software after.

So long story short I need to clear up the space on my mac then optimize it best to run with Pro Tools. Right now its pretty full of harmless malware and annoying stuff that im assuming puts some stress on the system.

So I figure instead of nitpicking through what I want and what I dont, ill just backup the most used sections of my harddrive then reset the entire thing and start from scratch based on my backed up files.

Only problem is Installing Pro Tools and all the plugins I have with it is a long and annoying process that I dont really want to do again. Is there a way to quickly clear up space on my macbook pro without having to delete all my Pro Tools settings?

I would just drag and drop/delete everything except my important pro Tools stuff but the problem is I have so many duplicates of Pro Tools folders on my computer I dont know which ones are safe to delete and which ones are the actual root to the program haha. Im sure its easy to tell but im a noob when it comes to that stuff. If I could figure out a way to delete everything except the files hosting Pro Tools and my plugins thatd be great. But I kind of just download my software then never touch them again. They always default to the right spot by themselves, makes it easier on me. Besides for situations like right now haha.

Also..What is the best way to set my mac to to a clean slate if i do decide to take that path?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
First, I know I can google this easily and find 5 ways to do it. Im just curious if there is a way I can do it without having to re install some huge software after.

It sounds like what you are wanting to do is a "clean install" of the OS. But there is no easy way to do that. It involves a command-r boot to recovery and from there erasing the OS volume then reinstalling the OS... and after that manually reinstalling all your apps.

mtasquared

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
I thought of a way I would take. I would install App Zapper. Drag your Pro Tools app into it. The program will list all associated files. Write them down or print the list. Now you have your list of root locations for Pro Tools. Exit App Zapper without deleting. Repeat process for every plugin.

Last edited:

Yumid

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
nice tip^

But i already did it and reinstalled. Wasn't a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.