Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Hello everyone, I wanted to get some feedback on lee's seven5 and 100mm filters. I currently have an assortment of Tiffen filters from .6 to 3.0 stop. While I like them for my Sony 10-18mm I am constantly feeling that the lee system would do better. What really interest me are the lee graduated filters.

So before I jump into my questions I want to give a little more information. I currently shoot on an A6000 with sonys 10-18mm f4. I just picked up a metabones adaptor and I'm waiting on a canon 70-200 f4. In the coming months I will replace the 10-18 with the recently released 16-35 FE f4 zeiss lens. Then lastly move into a full frame body like the a7r.

Ok now on the my question.

What are the main differences between the lee 100mm and seven5? Seeing the lenses above, what system would best fit my lenses? I will probably have to get the adapters for either system to fit the different lens openings.

Thanks for the help everyone!

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
The seven5 range filters are literally 75mm wide and designed for the smaller lenses of compact systems. The maximum filter thread for the system is 72mm which covers the lenses you mention but if in future you wanted to use larger lenses you would need the 100mm system. Lenses like the Canon f2.8 L range are mostly 77mm but they are also pretty big and heavy so not best suited to a compact system anyway. The A7 and adaptors should give you plenty of other alternatives.

Other than size I don't think there are any other differences. The seven5 range is still quite new so there may be fewer filter options at the moment. As the filters are smaller it would be easier to use and carry around and I expect cheaper too.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
The seven5 range filters are literally 75mm wide and designed for the smaller lenses of compact systems. The maximum filter thread for the system is 72mm which covers the lenses you mention but if in future you wanted to use larger lenses you would need the 100mm system. Lenses like the Canon f2.8 L range are mostly 77mm but they are also pretty big and heavy so not best suited to a compact system anyway. The A7 and adaptors should give you plenty of other alternatives.

Other than size I don't think there are any other differences. The seven5 range is still quite new so there may be fewer filter options at the moment. As the filters are smaller it would be easier to use and carry around and I expect cheaper too.

Thank you for the feedback Steve. Looks like I will go with the 100mm system then as it will have greater diversity with my future lens systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.