Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sadiedhtp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
New I6Plus has Belkin because I have my own router. Old phone and IPad has Comcast for Wi-fi . Shouldn't all 3 devices be on Same Wi-fi. I cannot get internet svc on new phone.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
It's up to you to join your devices to whichever WiFi network you wish. The phones didn't join a network for you, you made that choice at some point. Just go into the WiFi setting for your iPhone 6, disconnect from your Belkin router and join it to your Comcast Wireless.

I would suggest that if you don't understand this simple concept that you should not have you own router anyway. Unplug your Belkin router and just use the WiFi that your Comcast service is providing.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you don't know how to join wifi networks and switch wifi's and join whatever network you choose then the devices will not do it on their own.
Have someone teach you how to use your phone.

Sadiedhtp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Two different wi-fi's for 3 devices

Thanks for the quick reply but I did not purchase or rent any router from Comcast- only Internet. I have my own router(Belkin) ONLY. That is why I cannot figure out why 2 are connected to Comcast and one to Belkin? The AT&T people knew the whole story and connected my new phone to Belkin. Something is definitely not right! In earlier days, the chip would just be transferred from old phone to new phone. Now you have to be an IT Tech and pay much more!

plantje

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2014
China
No need for an IT tech, you can do this yourself! Not hard at all.

- If you want to connect all your devices to your Belkin wifi router make sure you know your wifi password.

- Next in the settings for your iPad go to wifi and next to Comcast press the little circle with i inside, than press "forget this network"

- than all you have to do is select your Belkin wifi router and fill in your password.

I am not sure if your old phone also was an iPhone, if so use the same steps as for your iPad. If not there should be something similar in the wifi settings to forget or delete the wifi network.

Hope this helps.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
my input

wifi devices will connect to whatever device they feel has the stronger signal at any given time

iphones and maybe even macs, don't seem to have a list of networks that you can rank to make them connect to one network over the other. at least i haven't found that feature yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.