Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollie1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I just received my Retina iMac on Wednesday. Tested it for Pixel and Backlight bleeding. In a dark room with maximum brightness there is bleeding. How much is acceptable? I tried to make the pictures´ exposure as realistic as possible.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 4,439
  • FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 707

rainking

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
Will you ever use your computer in the dark lookin at a black screen with full brightness up? Do you notice it under normal use? I'd say keep it if you don't notice anything under normal use. All LED panels have some bleeding. Some worse than others. Your replacement may be worse.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just received my Retina iMac on Wednesday. Tested it for Pixel and Backlight bleeding. In a dark room with maximum brightness there is bleeding. How much is acceptable? I tried to make the pictures´ exposure as realistic as possible.

Looks good to me, given what everyone's RiMac (including mine) looks like. Bleed is par for the course with these panels and they way the glass is mounted to the panel.

If that's max brightness, with a realistic photo exposure, yours is easily one of the better ones, and shouldn't be noticeable under "normal" conditions, e.g. lights on, regular brightness etc.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Agree with the other replies. If that's at full brightness, I'd say that's actually very good.

You have to bear in mind (a) IPS panels, whilst great for viewing angles and colour consistency, are not great in regards to uniformity, bleed and clouding etc. And (b) you can easily pay as much as the cost of a whole iMac just for a top quality 27" IPS monitor, and I mean a 2560x1440 monitor, not a 5K one!

For the price point the RiMac is selling at, you cannot expect perfection...

Ollie1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Thank you for your replies. I don´t want to seem hysteric, but i have taken more photos one in well lit room, two in little lit room, maybe you can have a look at them also. It is only noticeable in a lit room if the screen is dark for example at booting or when there is a dark movie seen then you see a little bleed from quite at the center of the top an from more at the right side at the bottom.
How would this exchange procedure work? Just return it in the 14 day return window and repurchase it? Or call Apple Care and explain the problem to them.
I´m not quite sure what to do. It´s my second iMac with LCD screen, didn't check the last one and never thought of it.
By the way otherwise the screen is awesome, no dead pixels.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 505
  • FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 560
  • FullSizeRender 5.jpg
    FullSizeRender 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 425

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This is the fourth thread relating to Retina iMac backlight bleed, the other three being:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1822185/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1814524/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1810560/

Every one is going to have a little backlight bleed. The problem has been around for years and won't be fixed until OLED replaces LCD. It's actually not that bad after a while, I freaked when I saw the first thread above and realized mine also had some bleed. Now I hardly ever notice.

I do think yours is just a tiny bit worse than mine (yes, I do have an over exposed photo of mine as well) but still not worth an exchange.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Yep, looks like normal LCD backlight bleeding to me.

Only way it will be pure black is if it has local led dimming, but that introduces other compromises.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thank you for your replies. I don´t want to seem hysteric, but i have taken more photos one in well lit room, two in little lit room, maybe you can have a look at them also. It is only noticeable in a lit room if the screen is dark for example at booting or when there is a dark movie seen then you see a little bleed from quite at the center of the top an from more at the right side at the bottom.
How would this exchange procedure work? Just return it in the 14 day return window and repurchase it? Or call Apple Care and explain the problem to them.
I´m not quite sure what to do. It´s my second iMac with LCD screen, didn't check the last one and never thought of it.
By the way otherwise the screen is awesome, no dead pixels.

Keep it. I think it's easier when you're in my position of having owned several iMacs in the past - all with bleed in various places. It's just the way it goes. You're more than welcome to exchange it if you want, but I guarantee you'd be wasting your time.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There is a small amount of "bleed" in those pics, but nothing I would return the computer for.

Odds are, you will never notice it in day-to-day usage.

kkishfy

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
iMac Retina 5K Screen Bleed

I had the same problem with (4) machines from December 28, 2014 - February 10, 2015. The screen is completely unacceptable, especially if you are a graphics designer, video editor or gamer where you work with dark backgrounds. The screen bleed problem is very distracting to look at.

In my opinion, this system needs to be revisited by engineers. It's not right to put the customer through this hassle of exchanges, delays and inconveniences where these issues should have been noticed/fixed in pre-production by Apple Quality Control Engineers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.