Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I am stuck with a pretty basic issue. Grrrr.

I have my trip photos on my iPhone 6. I have the iPhone connected to my TV's Component connection with an Apple Component (5 plugs) AV Cable. The TV Source Input is on Source 3, the Component Connection on the back where the Apple Component Cable is plugged in.

Photo slideshow is playing on the iPhone, and the TV screen is black. The audio on videos in the slideshow plays fine, but no photographs :(

Am I missing something?

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I am stuck with a pretty basic issue. Grrrr.

I have my trip photos on my iPhone 6. I have the iPhone connected to my TV's Component connection with an Apple Component (5 plugs) AV Cable. The TV Source Input is on Source 3, the Component Connection on the back where the Apple Component Cable is plugged in.

Photo slideshow is playing on the iPhone, and the TV screen is black. The audio on videos in the slideshow plays fine, but no photographs :(

Am I missing something?

Not sure if I can help since I've never tried to do this. First question....I can't find a lightning component cable for iPhone 6. Are you using some kind of adapter? Best I can tell Apple really wants you to connect via Airplay so you would need an Apple TV or a computer connected to your TV. There is a lightning to digital adapter so you could use a HDMI cable and there is a lightning to 30 pin adapter but it says that video is not supported. I'm wondering if you have a 30 pin apple component cable that you are connecting to your iPhone 6 with the adapter. If so...no video for you. Go HDMI or Airplay.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=45

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Not sure if I can help since I've never tried to do this. First question....I can't find a lightning component cable for iPhone 6. Are you using some kind of adapter? Best I can tell Apple really wants you to connect via Airplay so you would need an Apple TV or a computer connected to your TV. There is a lightning to digital adapter so you could use a HDMI cable and there is a lightning to 30 pin adapter but it says that video is not supported. I'm wondering if you have a 30 pin apple component cable that you are connecting to your iPhone 6 with the adapter. If so...no video for you. Go HDMI or Airplay.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=45
That's exactly what I was doing. :( Thanks. I knew it had to be something simple: Spend more money with Apple, haha.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Ok, so I went and blew ridiculous money at the Apple store today, picked up the Lightning to HDMI connector and an HDMI cable.

So, it played my photo album, but it had some disappointments:

1. The photos were about iPad sized on the TV screen. They did not fill the TV screen. It basically looked like you were looking at photos from down a dark hallway.

2. The iPhone6's Slideshow lets you pick music from iTunes to play in the background. I picked a mellow playlist. There was no shuffle option, and it did not rotate through the songs in the playlist, it just played the same song over and over and over again. ( 1 hour slideshow!).

All in all, pretty disappointing.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I will second blueroom's post and say get the ATV. You will appreciate having it and it will save you a lot of hassle. Plus it will give you many more other uses beyond just showing photo slideshows.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, so I went and blew ridiculous money at the Apple store today, picked up the Lightning to HDMI connector and an HDMI cable.

So, it played my photo album, but it had some disappointments:

1. The photos were about iPad sized on the TV screen. They did not fill the TV screen. It basically looked like you were looking at photos from down a dark hallway.

2. The iPhone6's Slideshow lets you pick music from iTunes to play in the background. I picked a mellow playlist. There was no shuffle option, and it did not rotate through the songs in the playlist, it just played the same song over and over and over again. ( 1 hour slideshow!).

All in all, pretty disappointing.

I don't know if there is any output settings on the iPhone 6. You might search for if you can adjust the output resolution. I just tried a slideshow over Airplay with my apple tv and iPhone 5s and it showed them in full resolution. If your willing to plunk down $99 US on an Apple TV it works great and no cables.

In the settings menu on the iPhone under Photos and Camera you can adjust repeat and shuffle. This might fix you're music problem.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
That's a great idea!! i will return them tomorrow! Can the Apple TV be moved around easily? I really wanted all this to be able to take up to my parent's house to show them photos from a trip.

Thanks!

PS-- The settings for Photos and Camera worked great for the shuffle and time on screen, but I didn't see anything about making the pictures fill the TV screen.

Great ideas and tips, thank you so much!!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That's a great idea!! i will return them tomorrow! Can the Apple TV be moved around easily? I really wanted all this to be able to take up to my parent's house to show them photos from a trip.

Thanks!

PS-- The settings for Photos and Camera worked great for the shuffle and time on screen, but I didn't see anything about making the pictures fill the TV screen.

Great ideas and tips, thank you so much!!

It will fit in your pocket! Doesn't come with an HDMI cable though, so make sure you have one.
If you take it to your parents house, you will just need to connect it to their wifi (as well as your iPhone) and your good to go.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Another bonus is Photostream & Flikr support. Plus AirPlay, Netflix, YouTube... You also may want to look at handbrake if you want to convert movies to an ATV format.

The Remote app for the ATV is also handy, check the Apple refurb store as it's sometimes discounted.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
x2 Get the Apple TV.

I viewed my photos from my DSLR to the tv and it was ughh ugly. Apple Tv looks great. You get full image on the screen.

Buy your parents an AppleTV #problemsolved.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
x2 Get the Apple TV.

I viewed my photos from my DSLR to the tv and it was ughh ugly. Apple Tv looks great. You get full image on the screen.

Buy your parents an AppleTV #problemsolved.
Isn't AppleTV overdue for a refresh/major upgrade?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
yeah I thought Apple was gonna have something released this year. Maybe we will see something in 2015?

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I'll echo others in this thread. The AppleTV is the way to go. I have 3 at home and 1 at work. For your original issue of photo slideshow, I update our family photos every 3 months on it for a seasonal slideshow that will automatically start after the kids stop watching Netflix. Sometime my wife and I just sit and watch it as there are near 10 different slideshow automations that Apple has built in to display your pictures.

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
It will fit in your pocket! Doesn't come with an HDMI cable though, so make sure you have one.
If you take it to your parents house, you will just need to connect it to their wifi (as well as your iPhone) and your good to go.

FYI - If you use your phone as a hotspot, you don't need to connect the :apple:TV to another WiFi router, just to the iPhone itself. I do that in my RV all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.