Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Is anyone having kernel issues with Yosemite on your Mini with Samsung 840 Pro...particularly systemuiserver consuming 100% CPU?

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Is anyone having kernel issues with Yosemite on your Mini with Samsung 840 Pro...particularly systemuiserver consuming 100% CPU?

SystemUIServer using 100% CPU? Force quit it in Activity Monitor. After you do that, does it still misbehave? If so, you've got an incompatible or cranky menu bar item. Turn them off one by one until you find the culprit.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
SystemUIServer using 100% CPU? Force quit it in Activity Monitor. After you do that, does it still misbehave? If so, you've got an incompatible or cranky menu bar item. Turn them off one by one until you find the culprit.

Yes, I have force quit as well as deleted the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file and didn't resolve...even creating a new user whom had the same issue. However, I believe you hinted on the right track...a incompatible or cranky menu bar...the right side. What could it be on a fresh clean install of Yosemite? No third party software installed.

Issues I have seen for sure could be Time Machine, Volume control, or the clock. Both Time Machine and volume control refused to display in the menu bar even after selected. The clock changes every four minutes...usually when Spotlight does a check. How I realized it was when I had been monitoring Console and saw the time progressing yet the menu bar clock lagged.

So since it was a clean install, I concluded there might be an issue with Yosemite and Samsung 840Pro SSD if others are having the same problems. I had the same SSD with Mavericks and Server on 2012 Mini...no problem!

Last edited:

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
So since it was a clean install, I concluded there might be an issue with Yosemite and Samsung 840Pro SSD if others are having the same problems. I had the same SSD with Mavericks and Server on 2012 Mini...no problem!

No problems with Mavericks, but this started with Yosemite? That doesn't surprise me at all. Yosemite is the buggiest OS release I've ever seen from Apple going back 20 years.

Do you really need to have Yosemite installed? Because I suggest you downgrade. I installed Yosemite on both my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini but it was almost unusable on both of them because of the WindowServer CPU-hogging bug on systems with integrated GPUs and external monitors. I downgraded to Mavericks and both systems are rock-solid reliable again.

Yosemite was released prematurely. In my opinion, it's still in early beta and not ready for release.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Although not related to the Mini, I've seen postings from others with MacBook Pro models who are having similar problems with the Samsung drive.

That is, once installed, the computer's CPU goes crazy, and the MacBook overheats.

Something in the drive itself -- firmware, software, hardware? -- is sending the CPU into overdrive...

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Although not related to the Mini, I've seen postings from others with MacBook Pro models who are having similar problems with the Samsung drive.

That is, once installed, the computer's CPU goes crazy, and the MacBook overheats.

Something in the drive itself -- firmware, software, hardware? -- is sending the CPU into overdrive...

I found out Apple made Yosemite purposely to NOT be compatible with third party SSD which displeases me to the max.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I found out Apple made Yosemite purposely to NOT be compatible with third party SSD which displeases me to the max.

What even bothers me more is that the official apple store in my country even states they do not want to upgrade my mini with a SSD even at their prices...

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
The only compatibility issue is trim, which IIRC was an issue with Mavericks also.

No true...I had been running a whole year with Mavericks...no issue and now back to Mavericks after a brief Yosemite.

----------

What even bothers me more is that the official apple store in my country even states they do not want to upgrade my mini with a SSD even at their prices...

I wondered what's the rational behind that decision...very unApple I think.

crashwarez

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
Brazil
No problem with 840 PRO

I have the same ssd (samsung 840 pro 256gb) on my mini and have no problem with Yosemite.

The only thing that i have to do, is use TRIM enabler, to fix trim issue.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I have the same ssd (samsung 840 pro 256gb) on my mini and have no problem with Yosemite.

The only thing that i have to do, is use TRIM enabler, to fix trim issue.

So, you followed the suggestions here...no issues with the right side of the menu bar (time machine, volume control missing even after selected and the clock not keeping up with the time except when spotlight does it's check every four or five minutes).

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
So what is the truth? Because this "Apple made Yosemite incompatible with 3rd party SSDs" is so ********, it makes me wanna scream.

crashwarez

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
Brazil
Trim Enabler

So, you followed the suggestions here...no issues with the right side of the menu bar (time machine, volume control missing even after selected and the clock not keeping up with the time except when spotlight does it's check every four or five minutes).

Yes, i followed this steps and update to 10.10.1. Everything is normal here (clock, time machine, volume control and spotlight). Trim Enabler is the best choice to fix this incompatibility of Yosemite.

----------

So what is the truth? Because this "Apple made Yosemite incompatible with 3rd party SSDs" is so ********, it makes me wanna scream.

Unfortunately yes, Apple does this so users buy SSD's with them.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, i followed this steps and update to 10.10.1. Everything is normal here (clock, time machine, volume control and spotlight). Trim Enabler is the best choice to fix this incompatibility of Yosemite.

Cool...good to know. I think I'll wait for the official release of 10.10.2 to see whether Apple made changes. Since I am running Server, I want to keep things Apple happy before applying alternative.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
Makes me wonder how four of my computers with aftermarket SSDs work happily on Yosemite.

I was considering an SSD from OtherWorld Computing (figure they are the most compatible) for my Mac Mini and NOT fusing the SSD and hard drive. Would I still need "trim enabler"? And am i still open to Yosemite issues even though not doing the hack fusion?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Murphy's law...they're exceptions to every rule...so who makes your SSD?

Not the person you quoted but I have an 840 EVO in my 2012 MBP and an OCZ Vertex 3 in my Mini. Also no trouble with either with TRIM enabled.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

There is no incompatibility issues. The issue is simply turning Trim on and off. You can still turn on Trim, but it leaves your computer more vulnerable. If Trim isn't important to you, then you shouldn't care at all. I haven't turned on Trim, but I'm using Samsung 840 EVO's, Crucial M500's, and an old Sandforce 2281 SSD (don't remember which make/model) with no issues in Yosemite. Just no trim.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I was a Trim Enabler user for several years with my 256GB 840 Pro. Once I upgraded to Yosemite, I started experiencing issues with TE turned on. The mini would not shut down properly, when it booted it would sometimes be a black screen with just the cursor showing, etc.

In my experience, TE with Yosemite is just too buggy (and maybe risky) to be bothered with. Yet, I still value the importance of TRIM. Use at your own risk!!

eutexian

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Mapperley, Nottingham UK
256 pro. Yosemite and Trim.

No problems whatsoever. Everything remains super. Boots in 15 seconds... So a 3 second increase over mavericks. Maybe I should send apple a stern email?

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I was a Trim Enabler user for several years with my 256GB 840 Pro. Once I upgraded to Yosemite, I started experiencing issues with TE turned on. The mini would not shut down properly, when it booted it would sometimes be a black screen with just the cursor showing, etc.

In my experience, TE with Yosemite is just too buggy (and maybe risky) to be bothered with. Yet, I still value the importance of TRIM. Use at your own risk!!

That's why I downgraded to Mavericks...no issues with the trim enabled. If Apple had wanted Yosemite to work with third party SSD, one would not see the security alert fear.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Not the person you quoted but I have an 840 EVO in my 2012 MBP and an OCZ Vertex 3 in my Mini. Also no trouble with either with TRIM enabled.

I have the same Mini...just with 16GB RAM and Samsung 840 Pro/120GB that I use as a server. Server 4.0 worked...no issues...It was just with Yosemite, and it was just the right side of the menu bar...which wasn't the supposed trim issue...at least what I think.

I will retry when Apple officially releases Yosemite 10.10.2.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Murphy's law...they're exceptions to every rule...so who makes your SSD?

One Crucial 128 GB something, two Samsungs 840 Evo, one older Samsung 810. Crucial is a running experiment, as it is a part of homemade Fusion drive on a Mac Pro 2,1 with boot.efi replaced.
The ONLY slight issue with the Crucial is that when the Trim Enabler is turned on, the computer always boots for 3 seconds, restarts even before reaching the login screen and boots again, this time clean. As the Pro is not getting rebooted or turned off too often, this is a minor issue and I am not sure if it would happen in any other scenario.

crashwarez

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
Brazil
Makes me wonder how four of my computers with aftermarket SSDs work happily on Yosemite.

They work, but with TRIM disabled. To enable, u must use some software (like TE)

----------

I was considering an SSD from OtherWorld Computing (figure they are the most compatible) for my Mac Mini and NOT fusing the SSD and hard drive. Would I still need "trim enabler"? And am i still open to Yosemite issues even though not doing the hack fusion?

Yes, the only way to NOT need TE is buying your Mac with SSD from factory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.