Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visual dreams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hi everyone :)

Unfortunately a couple weeks ago my MBA (2011 i5/11"/2GB) kind of died. About one or two years ago I replaced the original 64GB SSD with an 180GB SSD from OWC.

Basically I have an occasionally flashing folder icon (so I assumed a failure with the SSD) on startup along with never-ending crashes and serious lag whenever I attempt to actually able to boot to the desktop. The Apple Store told me they couldn't do anything about it since I replaced the SSD with a third-party SSD. They did still inspect it, and found issues with the logic board and some power issues, but they didn't mention the SSD itself. They didn't bother quoting a repair when I asked, instead they just told me it wasn't worth paying to get a replacement or fix it. I would have tried to showed it to them with the original SSD but I reformatted it to use as an external drive, oops.

I would love to try reinstall Yosemite on the original SSD but I basically have no idea how to go about reinstalling OS X (I have little to no idea what I'm talking about either so please bear with me). I can access the SSD through an external case supplied by OWC (initially used to clone my original drive when I initially purchased the OWC SSD), would it be possible for me to clone the drive from my current Mac?

If I don't manage to find a fix, If I were to sell the MacBook in this condition on eBay, how much could I sell it for?

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I'm in the same boat although my issues are a bit less severe, just a bad MagSafe port, torn MagSafe cord, and a severely depleted battery. I am going to try and put it on Craigslist for $200 and see if anyone wants it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.