Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As they have done in years past, a group of more than 35 high-profile developers have banded together this holiday season to offer a slew of iOS and Mac apps at deep discounts of up to 60 percent off. Last year, App Santa focused only on iOS apps, but this year, both iOS and Mac apps are being offered at lower prices.

appsanta.jpg
Organized by Realmac, the creators of Clear, App Santa includes apps from several well-known developers including Readdle, Tapbots, Gneo, PCalc, JuneCloud, and more. Apps involved in the App Santa promotion are listed below:

- Clear for iOS ($2.99, down from $4.99) and Mac ($5.99, down from $9.99): Simple, no-frills to-do list and reminders. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Ember for iOS ($2.99, down from $4.99) and Mac: A scrapbooking style app for collecting and annotating images. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Launch Center Pro ($0.99, down from $4.99): Can be used to create shortcuts to complete complex actions with one tap. [Direct Link]

- Mileage Log+ ($4.99, down from $9.99): Simple but comprehensive app for tracking mileage. [Direct Link]

- Tweetbot 3 for iPhone ($2.99, down from $4.99): Popular third-party Twitter client. [Direct Link]

- Screens for iOS ($9.99, down from $19.99) and Mac ($14.99, down from $29.99): Offers remote access to computers from anywhere. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Group Text+ ($1.99, down from $2.99): Brand-new quick messaging app. [Direct Link]

- Castro ($1.99, down from $3.99): Podcast client with useful features like continuous play and fast searching. [Direct Link]

- PCalc for iOS and Mac ($6.99 each, down from $9.99) : Full featured calculator app. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Manual ($0.99, down from $1.99): Camera app with full manual controls. [Direct Link]

- Day One for iOS ($0.99, down from $4.99) and Mac ($7.99, down from $9.99): Life journal incorporating text and photos. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Prizmo for iOS ($4.99, down from $9.99) and Mac ($24.99, down from $49.99): Scanning app with Optical Character Recognition in 40+ languages. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- MindNode for iOS ($4.99, down from $9.99) and Mac ($9.99, down from $19.99): Designed for making mind maps. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Deliveries for iOS ($2.99, down from $4.99) and Mac ($3.99, down from $4.99): App for easy package tracking. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Scanner Pro ($2.99, down from $6.99): Turns an iPhone into a portable scanner. [Direct Link]

- Calendars 5 ($2.99, down from $6.99): Popular calendar/task manager. [Direct Link]

- PDF Expert 5 ($6.99, down from $9.99): For reading, editing, and annotating PDFs. [Direct Link]

- Printer Pro ($2.99, down from $6.99): Lets an iOS device wirelessly print to any Wi-Fi or USB printer. [Direct Link]

- Next for iPhone/iPad ($1.99, down from $2.99) and Mac ($2.99, down from $6.99): App for tracking personal finance and expenses. [iPhone Direct Link] [iPad Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Gneo ($5.99, down from $9.99): Calendar/task manager with Evernote integration. [Direct Link]

- ColorStrokes ($0.99, down from $1.99): Photo editing app for selectively removing color. [Direct Link]

-FX Photo Studio ($0.99, down from $2.99): Photo editing app with filters and effects. [Direct Link]

- Soulver for iOS ($2.99, down from $4.99) and Mac ($8.99, down from $11.99): Notepad for quick math calculations. [iOS Direct Link] [Mac Direct Link]

- Go Couch to 5K ($1.99, down from $4.99): Fitness app for beginning runners. [Direct Link]

- Solar Walk ($0.99, down from $2.99): App that details the solar system with 3D model of planets. [Direct Link]

- Star Walk HD ($0.99, down from $2.99): Displays stars, constellations, and satellites in real time. [Direct Link]

- TextExpander 3 ($2.99, down from $4.99): Keyboard that supports custom abbreviations that expand into longer snippets of text. [Direct Link]

- Drafts 4 ($4.99, down from $9.99): Quick notetaking and text capture/sharing app. [Direct Link]

- Terminology ($1.99, down from $2.99): Dictionary/Thesaurus tool. [Direct Link]

- Windy ($1.99, down from $2.99): White noise app featuring natural wind sounds. [Direct Link]

The App Santa promotion will run from today, December 16, until December 26.

Article Link: 'App Santa' Offers Discounts of Up to 60% Off Popular iOS and Mac Apps

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I use Day One and like it. I am not familiar with any of the other items listed here.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Ahhh, I should have waited a few days to get Prizmo. But that's okay, Smile's Scan+ works and I think a little better. Right now I'm converting an illustrated PDF book to standard text and editing the pictures down on the Mac to add later. I'm using it for lazy note taking too when I'm looking at real paper.

Out of that list, I did NOT care for Next. The iPhone app is great, but neither the iPad or Mac versions are. I use Launch Center Pro less because of the notes I can have on my widgets. Plus I still have my Launcher app. Workflow is also taking over some of my actions too.

I went back to Castro after getting fed up with Overcast. The main thing I don't like about OC is that it doesn't have a problem downloading all your stuff, and doesn't seem to have an option to make this all manual. This is fine on my iPhone, but a terrible idea on my 16GB iPad. I like having lots of podcasts on hand on my iPhone, but want to be able to specify what I want to download and listen to on my iPad. I prefer Castro's interface too. (And yes, it's iPhone only still)

TextExpander is great. There are very specific things it's useful for. I type out business names with it for my finance apps. Like if I make a purchase in the iTunes Store, I just type "apl" and it does it for me, and "att" will change it to "AT&T Wireless" and so on. Otherwise I'd type them all differently each time and that's not great for searching later on.

You can use it for large pieces of text, but especially now that we have copy and paste keyboards, it's going to be a lot easier using those.

Manual is the only camera app I use on my iPhone 5S. I'm really amazed at how much better my Christmas lights pictures are this year now that I can change the settings around. I really wish I had it when I was on those few trips over the summer!

And I always have Soulver open on the Mac. I had it for awhile on my iOS devices, but I always found myself opening Google to do some basic math. So I recently got it for the Mac so I would stop doing that. PCalc is good too.

I use Drafts, and some people use it for everything, but I just jot down stuff I want to expand on later.

And yes, this post was a bit long, sorry. :eek:

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I use Day One and like it. I am not familiar with any of the other items listed here.

Day One is one of few apps to have an honourary spot on my home screen. Fantastic software for what it does, and well worth the cost.

I used this promotion to pick up Drafts 4 and MindNode. Very cool that app developers offer these deals. :D

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Besides running clever marketing promotions, I wish Realmac would bother fixing syncing in Ember, which the whole app is built around.

It just doesnt work reliably, no matter how many times you email tech support or go through Realmac's FAQs on the matter. Just read reviews on the App Store for Ember and you'll see a steady stream of complaints that synching is horribly buggy and has been for a long time.

That Realmac keeps selling and promoting Ember while knowing that synching is a nightmare shows that the company isn't quite the friendy neighborhood developer that it pretends to be.

I'm giving them one more update to fix synching, otherwise will be getting a refund.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Ahhh, I should have waited a few days to get Prizmo. But that's okay, Smile's Scan+ works and I think a little better.

I've been eyeing Prizmo, but have heard of Scan +. I'm a little skeptical of OCR accuracy in these cheaper (comported to scanners) apps. I scan a lot of school work and receipts, how does the OCR work for you?

----------

Also, when you export these scans to Dropbox are they still searchable, or are they searchable only in-app?

----------

Not part of AppSanta, but the game Oceanhorn is 50% off too.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
And there isn't any iPad version after a whole year...:confused:
Not surprising for a 2-man team but, for their flagship app, I do wish they get a move on. And the discount has been applied to the App Store now. Still not sure if it'll buy it though, because TB2 works fine.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Correction on Screens for iOS, they bumped the price from $9.99 up to $13.99.

Does anyone have/use Screens on iOS? It doesn't have enough ratings for them to be shown on the AppStore.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I've been eyeing Prizmo, but have heard of Scan +. I'm a little skeptical of OCR accuracy in these cheaper (comported to scanners) apps. I scan a lot of school work and receipts, how does the OCR work for you?

It misses a few words here and there. Like maybe one or two per paragraph. I only got it yesterday. :p It won't read text that is even slightly slanted or faded. I don't know how proper OCR computer apps work, but you have the advantage of being able to make sure the paper is straight in a scanner. Can't do that with a phone camera really.

Might be hit and miss with receipts. You'd have to pump up the contrast on some of them.

Correction on Screens for iOS, they bumped the price from $9.99 up to $13.99.

Does anyone have/use Screens on iOS? It doesn't have enough ratings for them to be shown on the AppStore.

Thanks in advance.

They just updated the app. You'd want to look at all of them.

Last edited:

I literally just bought Day One on the Mac 2 days ago. Haha, it's funny because I even considered waiting for a sale but figured "Meh, the value of getting started on it will outweigh the 2 bucks I'd save." I don't regret it. It's a well made app, and I really want to get into life journaling. I've had it on my iPhone for over a year, but I think now that it's on my Mac I'll actually start using it

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
App Santa already left the Screens house and took some of the gifts with him.

It was the price quoted above for only a few hours. Price has gone up already.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Not surprising for a 2-man team but, for their flagship app, I do wish they get a move on. And the discount has been applied to the App Store now. Still not sure if it'll buy it though, because TB2 works fine.

Yea and not to mention only one programmer :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.