Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Got an email this afternoon suggesting a password change.

What bothers me about these things is so many outfits want an email address to reggie with, so they can later contact you (or ban you or confirm you just won a trip to the Bahamas or whatever!). So then when a site is hacked, even if you change your password, you know that email address is out there getting sold again and again, completely outside the more usual (almost wrote "normal", and why not at this point?!) ways that addresses get harvested for spamming purposes, e.g., bots on relay servers etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Many sites now use FB as a way to register, do you think that's better?

The email address to register makes sense since they send a confirmation email.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This is one reason I have an email that is just for signing up to sites. If they get hacked the email address has no personal information about me in it. Now stuff like Amazon and Apple, or places that might have credit card information attached to it, I don't use at other sites.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Better yet: I have my own domain.

Each website gets a unique email address: URL@mydomain.com

If the email address gets compromised, I will send it to dev/null, and create a new one.

-t

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Many sites now use FB as a way to register, do you think that's better?

The email address to register makes sense since they send a confirmation email.

Oh oh I think this is the worst. As far as collecting data about customers and all that garbage, signing in to something (or even having a Facebook account really) is about the worst thing you could do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.