Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matte2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2014
I have a 2006 iMac with a bad screen that I have connected to an external monitor. I recently purchased a Mac Mini and would now like to transfer all my files to the new Mac Mini, but learned that my iMac is too old to be used with migration assistant, so I've been transferring my photos and music files to CD-R discs and have spent 48 hours going through 7000 email messages in Apple Mail that I've narrowed down to 3000 that I want to keep. So basically what's left is 3000 emails in Apple Mail and a lot of (about 800) .pdf and .txt files scattered throughout different folders that I would like to keep. How/what is the easiest way to put these documents and old emails on a USB flash drive all at once?

Secondly, once I have deleted all files from my old iMac, what's the simplest way to pepare it for donation to where the next person couldn't uncover anything or the computer would have no trace that I owned it?

Going through 8 years worth of old emails and files is time consuming. I hope transferring them is less so.

stapoz

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
About transferring mails see my reply in the post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1830051/

About pdf and other files, there is no software which will select automatically what to copy and transfer to pendrive. The easiest way is to copy all volume, or at least high parent folder (containing all docs you need) to external drive or large pendrive (eg. 32 GB). Then you could use it anytime when you need a doc.

Before you donate your Mac clean its disk. Open Disk Utility, select the disk, click Erase tab and then "security options" to overwrite all your data on the disk

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
learned that my iMac is too old to be used with migration assistant
Migration Assistant has been around for years. What makes you think your Mac is too old?

Open Disk Utility, select the disk, click Erase tab and then "security options" to overwrite all your data on the disk
A Mac can't erase it's own hard drive. A bit like committing suicide. You'd have to boot from a clone, an installation disc, or connect two Macs using Target Disc Mode and then use Disk Utility from that other source to erase the hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.