Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-contest/2014/entries/gallery/people-winners/

I found it interesting that I wasn't that impressed with the winners of the people and places categories (though they are good shots) but I was really impressed with all the Nature winners. Maybe because I lean more towards landscape and nature. Or maybe it's because the Nature photos seemed to "follow the rules" a bit more than the People and Places ones did.

One thing I'm trying to get better at (or even be able to do) is to create images that tell a story somehow instead of just taking technically good photos. That's probably one thing that all of these photos do a pretty good job at.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-contest/2014/entries/gallery/people-winners/

I found it interesting that I wasn't that impressed with the winners of the people and places categories (though they are good shots) but I was really impressed with all the Nature winners. Maybe because I lean more towards landscape and nature. Or maybe it's because the Nature photos seemed to "follow the rules" a bit more than the People and Places ones did.

One thing I'm trying to get better at (or even be able to do) is to create images that tell a story somehow instead of just taking technically good photos. That's probably one thing that all of these photos do a pretty good job at.

I have to agree with you. Of the people shots I found the honourable mentions at the Dead Sea and the last one (in Romania) to be better than some of the others that came before them.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I felt pretty much the same about the winners in people and places , except for the old Romanian couple . The rest of the winners in those categories … meh . Liked the Nature winners . But what I REALLY liked is the stuff that didn't win …. check out weeks 8 & 9 in places and nature .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.