Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Got my iPhone 6+ yesterday and unless I'm missing something, it appears that you still have to go through the settings-->somewhere to toggle personal hotspot on and off.

Is there an app or way to make that a simple one button push from the main screens?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The only way is if you have another device with iOS8 or a Mac running Yosemite, and the devices are all logged in to the same iCloud account. In that case you can use Instant Hotspot to get connected.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Just curious whether the annoying problem that the hotspot will turn off once you move away from the setting page is still happening.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Yeah, I know that, but thanks for the feedback.
But you have to go to settings to turn it on before that works. I'd like to have a toggle in a handier place.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah, I know that, but thanks for the feedback.
But you have to go to settings to turn it on before that works. I'd like to have a toggle in a handier place.
If your devices are compatible with Instant Hotspot, you don't need to change any settings on the phone whatsoever.

----------

Just curious whether the annoying problem that the hotspot will turn off once you move away from the setting page is still happening.

That's not something I've experienced.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I love the instant hotspot feature. It's great not having to toggle hotspot on or off. Phone just stays in the pocket. Huge perk of iCloud. Works great iOS to iOS, but anyone find that trying to connect via Yosemite seems to fail quite often?

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
You could always go Android ;)

Bite your tongue!! :)

I could and did go to a Windows Phone and would be much more likely to go that way again if the choice was Windows or Android.

----------

I love the instant hotspot feature. It's great not having to toggle hotspot on or off. Phone just stays in the pocket. Huge perk of iCloud. Works great iOS to iOS, but anyone find that trying to connect via Yosemite seems to fail quite often?

I'm confused then. On my MBPr after using the instant hotspot on the phone once, it now sees it all the time and can be connected to it.

But my iPad Air 2 doesn't show it or even try to use it unless I go into settings and select it AFTER turning on mobile hotspot on the iPhone. Don't have to do it when I try from Yosemite. Just select it and it turns it on in the phone and it just works.

So what am I doing wrong?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Jail breaking is the easy way. I have it on the first page of my 3 page swappable toggles on control center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 112

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm confused then. On my MBPr after using the instant hotspot on the phone once, it now sees it all the time and can be connected to it.

But my iPad Air 2 doesn't show it or even try to use it unless I go into settings and select it AFTER turning on mobile hotspot on the iPhone. Don't have to do it when I try from Yosemite. Just select it and it turns it on in the phone and it just works.

So what am I doing wrong?

Try rebooting the iPad. It works, but there was/is a bug at some point that could cause it not to be recognized at first. I'm using it all the time though.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I did try rebooting the iPad as well as the iPhone and the computer. Nothing would allow the iPad to connect to the phone's hotspot unless I started the hotspot manually.

Googled a bit. Found a suggestion. Change the iPhone's name, reboot everything again. Now it works as it is supposed to. Odd... :)

One last question, after I set the iPad and Mac back to the in house wireless, how long after before the personal hotspot turns itself back off on the iPhone?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I did try rebooting the iPad as well as the iPhone and the computer. Nothing would allow the iPad to connect to the phone's hotspot unless I started the hotspot manually.

Googled a bit. Found a suggestion. Change the iPhone's name, reboot everything again. Now it works as it is supposed to. Odd... :)

One last question, after I set the iPad and Mac back to the in house wireless, how long after before the personal hotspot turns itself back off on the iPhone?

Yes, that's what I did but couldn't remember. :)

The Personal Hotspot works on devices under the same iCloud account at all times, whether the switch is on or off. It makes no difference, so you'll never see it turn itself back off.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Yes, that's what I did but couldn't remember. :)

The Personal Hotspot works on devices under the same iCloud account at all times, whether the switch is on or off. It makes no difference, so you'll never see it turn itself back off.

I don't actually care if I 'see' it turn off, I just don't want it to sit there eating up cell data willy nilly. There's got to be something that says 'whoa, no traffic, disconnect' on the phone, or at least I would think so.

I did try a google for that info, but couldn't find squat about it.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ah, I think I see what you are saying. I'm not sure when exactly the two disconnect, but it seems to be fairly quickly after the iPad goes to sleep. I actually wish I could make it more aggressive at holding the connection.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Ah thanks!

I'll have to test it out myself to see how it all ends up. At the prices the carriers get for cell data, you sure don't want to use it more than you need to! :)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Tell me about it. I'm overseas and apparently had a lapse in my data plan. I got a text message warning me, and apparently I'd racked up $387 in data charges after just one day - for using 18MB of data!

Fortunately they were willing to correct the error! :eek:

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Well I just ran through some scenarios to fully test this out.

1. Cranked up the iPad, connected to the instant hotspot. Phone shifted to LTE from wifi as it should and I was on the internet with cell data.
2. Put the iPad to sleep and in a couple minutes the connection on the phone shifted back to the in house wifi as I wanted it to.
3. Woke the iPad back up and it connected to the in home wifi as I hoped it would and not to the instant hotspot.

My fears are allayed!!! :D

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
so yesterday i restored my iphone 6 plus and restored it from icloud backup. before that my macbook was able to detect the Instant Hotspot. But after restoring it just doesnt show up under my wifi settings. and yes both the devices are logged into same account. What can be the problem?

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
so yesterday i restored my iphone 6 plus and restored it from icloud backup. before that my macbook was able to detect the Instant Hotspot. But after restoring it just doesnt show up under my wifi settings. and yes both the devices are logged into same account. What can be the problem?

Reading here and there it seems that the Instant Hotspot can be a bit twitchy to get going. Try changing the phone's name and then reboot the phone like I did and see if the MacBook can see it then.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Is the Mac running Yosemite? I've had issues with that. My iOS devices connect flawlessly, so to me that indicates a Yosemite issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.