Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Recently, I installed Windows 8.1 via bootcamp on my 21.5 inch Late 2013/2014 iMac (2.9-3.6Ghz quad core i5, Nvidia GeForce GT 750m w/ 1,GB GDDR5 VRAM) and even when playing games such as Far Cry and Battlefield on high at 1080p the fans don't get any more audible than normal and the back of my iMac gets just slightly warm with some warm air coming out the back. I am reality impressed with the cooling of the iMacs, do you all feel the same? Do to ever hear your iMac when playing games?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Recently, I installed Windows 8.1 via bootcamp on my 21.5 inch Late 2013/2014 iMac (2.9-3.6Ghz quad core i5, Nvidia GeForce GT 750m w/ 1,GB GDDR5 VRAM) and even when playing games such as Far Cry and Battlefield on high at 1080p the fans don't get any more audible than normal and the back of my iMac gets just slightly warm with some warm air coming out the back. I am reality impressed with the cooling of the iMacs, do you all feel the same? Do to ever hear your iMac when playing games?

It's not just you.

When gaming on my 3 iMacs (21.5", 27" and retina iMac), all are pretty quiet.

Even if the fans spin up, it's just a soft whir.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I feel the fan is as quiet as it can be given the air flow it moves. I find it quieter then a gaming PC for the obvious reason of the PC's power vs the iMac.

I haven't owned a PC in a while but when I did at the time to have similar gaming performance (turning down the graphics etc to match the Mac) they were pretty similar in fan noise.

But also the Macs fan is literally in your face vs the PC that I had which sat under the desk.

At idle I've always found a Mac to be quieter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.