Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crown16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Hi All,

Im looking into buying a hardcase for my MBA 11 inch. I don't want it to be too bulky, but more like a protective skin.
The closest I found was a hardcase by Speck. But the reviews are extremely mixed, from 5 stars amazing, to 1 stars, saying that the case breaks within a month. Wondered if anyone could give me advice. Is a speck case durable enough for travel, or is there a better case on the market?

thanks in advance for all help!

greetz

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I've tried a couple of other hard shells and ended up with a Moshi iGlaze on my 13" MBA. The Speck and Incipio hard shells were ok, but the Moshi just feels better, is more durable, and seems to be made of better material.

The tabs which hold the bottom half of of the skin to the machine had broken off, both Speck and Incipio.

My $0.02 worth.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Hi All,

Im looking into buying a hardcase for my MBA 11 inch. I don't want it to be too bulky, but more like a protective skin.
The closest I found was a hardcase by Speck. But the reviews are extremely mixed, from 5 stars amazing, to 1 stars, saying that the case breaks within a month. Wondered if anyone could give me advice. Is a speck case durable enough for travel, or is there a better case on the market?

thanks in advance for all help!

greetz

Well mine didn't break within a month.

I bought two of that case already, first one was glossy, the second (which I currently have now) is the satin version.

Probably not the most durable case for travel, but adequate. My first one broke after about a year. The problem was mostly concentrated on the bottom portion of the case, rear part, the plastic that covered that area was too thin it couldn't withstand much abuse.

Finally got another one, I noticed they updated their design and made that problematic area thicker, it performs better but only slightly, mine is starting to show some cracks now.

Btw, I dropped my macbook with the covers on, got a dent on the lid but the cover was fine, not even a scratch or crack! I don't know what the physics behind that, I guess it doesn't absorb shock but simply transferring it? A bit disappointed though, I'd rather the cover cracked than my macbook dented.

Still I like them enough so I'll have them on until they break completely, then by that time my macbook is also retiring.

tmartin89

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
Also looking for a case for my new MBA 13 inch. Has anyone had any luck with the TopCase from Amazon? Reviews seem to be mostly good but then there's always them one or two stars that throw some doubt in.

The speck ones look decent but are pretty expensive.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
My Speck case fell apart after about one year (the weak bottom shell tabs). They are really bad for the retina models, and most stores have stopped selling them. Speck is not worth the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.