Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonny550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Hi there, long post apologies but I am hoping someone can help! I can see there are some users posting similar problems but mine seems slightly different.

I am having major crashing issues with my Macbook air (stats below).

Everything was running fine up until I upgraded to Yosemite. Initially the system seemed to be able so cope perfectly well and there were no problems, but after a couple of weeks on Yosemite I started to experience random crashes. after looking around online I decided to do a full system restore and clean OS install but for some reason I could not reinstall Yosemite, then could not recover to Mavericks and could not even reinstall Lion from Internet recovery. After a lot of messing around the only way I have been able to get everything running is by getting to Internet Recovery mode and installing Lion onto a flash drive, then using disk utility to 'restore' and copy the flash drive data onto the hard drive, which has worked.

However Lion also experiences crashing issues when carrying out tasks or after prolonged use. I decided to upgrade to Yosemite again as it seemed to me that the OS can't be the issue as Lion was crashing as well, but I had install onto a flash drive again and restore as the direct install fails every time and puts me back to square one!!

The crashing is difficult to pin down to anything specific. I am using the laptop right now and its running perfectly but then it will just cut out sometimes randomly, the mouse will cease to function and/or the spinning ball will appear and the only way to recover is to power off and on again. It does seem more frequent when downloading files, using online multimedia, carrying out multiple tasks or installing applications.

It has been suggested it may be down to hard drive failure but I have done some disk checks using techtool pro, diskwarrior, and the built in disk utility and everything is green across the board.

I have even disassembled the back panel and checked the vents and state of the insides and its all in great shape and is well looked after

Please assist it is driving me crazy!

Many thanks

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA41.0077.B11
SMC Version (system): 1.74f4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.