Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
So what do you think, can you ever imagine a time where a iPhone could offer the possibility to boot another operating system or even run a virtual operating system?

Prior to the intel shift we saw in OS X, most people could not see a day when apple would let users run windows on their hardware. But since that time we have seen sales climb.

So what do you think, could apple have a dual boot option in the future?
And could that increase market dominance?

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Wonder whatever happen with one of the JB team working on dual booting iOSes? Wouldn't have minded to have iOS 6 and iOS 8 on my iPhone 5.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
One time, long ago, it was possible to dual boot two different versions of iOS. It was mostly iOS 3 and iOS 4 on the iPod Touch 2G and older devices. It was a pain to set up, but worked well.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
HTC didn't technically make a dual boot phone, but they offered Android and WP8.1 versions of the HTC One M8.

So it's actually a single phone that can support two different OSes, with a different ROM I guess.

Technically, the iPhone can do it, but Apple doesn't have a reason to. It's a phone, not a computer.

On another note, some Chinese chap managed to get Windows 95 running on an iPhone 6 Plus: http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/10/chinese-programmer-sticks-windows-95-on-an-iphone-6-plus/

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I could see virtual uses maybe for apps like BB enterprise apps or if you have purchased android apps you want to keep. Kind of like how BB lets you run their apps or android apps from the Amazon app store.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I could see dual booting if Apple hadn;t been such a huge influence early on. At this point I don't see it. Not Officially. There are a couple examples of unofficial dual booting though. Most of them involve windows phone (and even the original iPhone) running Android.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Just too much unnecessary complexity to make it worthwhile. Mobile devices are all about specialization and hardware optimization.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Another thing I forgot about, the iPhone 2G, iPod Touch 1G, and iPhone 3G can already boot between iOS and Android. Granted it is an older, unstable build of Android, but they can.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I can only imagine some Chinese knockoff doing this, can't see the point in it myself - half the selling point of a phone is it's OS in my opinion.

Reactions: byke

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
I wish jailbroken iPhone 6S and plus could dual boot iOS and Android, now that we have 2GB or ram and very powerful A9. As an Android app developer, and who wants to use iPhone for syncing perfectly with Mac & iPad, and also want the best-in-class iPhone hardware, I think this will be really amazing. Seriously, there is no Android phone from a big name company that has all metal phone that I like. The only option is HTC, but I don't like their black bezels. There is Galaxy A series, but unfortunately, they don't support AWS (T-mobile, Wind, etc). No choice for me.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
So what do you think, can you ever imagine a time where a iPhone could offer the possibility to boot another operating system or even run a virtual operating system?

Sure it will happen at some point ( at least being able to run a vm ). Everythings getting so powerful.

How useful it will be to run a vm on a phone i dunno but it will happen.

I think in the next few years the lines between phone and watch etc will just blur into "wearable computing" ...

Reactions: byke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.