Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
That is what they said today anyway in Epcot,

I had my phone near the reader while trying to swipe my card, and it activated. It didn't go thru, but it did at least try!!

I'm sooooo excited, less I have to carry with me now. I can use my stupid item card case for my ID and passholder discount card. We will be there Tuesday so I will have to try it.

(And yes, I will go card less in the parks because I actually rarely buy anything since we take food and water with us. We day trip for a couple of hours.)

They are cutting it close to make the "by Christmas" time frame, at least they held to it....

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd still take a credit card with me as backup.

Enjoy your day at Disney World. Still a place I need to go. Have a cuple years before my son can enjoy it, but it's definitely going to happen!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'd still take a credit card with me as backup.

Enjoy your day at Disney World. Still a place I need to go. Have a cuple years before my son can enjoy it, but it's definitely going to happen!

Ha. I will just use one of the kids cards :p

I can transfer $$ to it if needed!

I'm the wrong person to give advice about early trips, some of my fondest memories are the trips with the under 1 year olds. It is strange now with the youngest being 10. I find myself wanting to push an empty stroller to put my crap in/on.

We are enjoying ourselves. The passes were their Christmas/birthday/everything present this year! It's been close to 5 years since we've had themi think.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Disney can be a lot of fun *without* kids along too. I've done a weekend-away there with my wife and we had a great time just by ourselves. :D

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Disney can be a lot of fun *without* kids along too. I've done a weekend-away there with my wife and we had a great time just by ourselves. :D

Yup, I have a few of those days schedule in the next couple of weeks myself.

Sometimes it is like we don't have them with us - they are old enough now to ditch us! :p We enjoyed Wilson Philips and they rode Test Track!

skyking517

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
We were at Downtown Disney last night, we go to Disney every weekend, this will be HUGE. I noticed during the food and wine festival, that the magic band reader was activating my apple pay, but of course it didnt go through. This will make drinking around the world even more awesome!!!

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Success!!!

I used Apple Pay at the Pecos Bill Cafe in Frontierland at WDW in Orlando this morning (12-23). The cashier told me today was the first day they were accepting Apple Pay.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
It didn't work to rent a locker at DHS, and that ended up being the only place I tried today. He said they had issues yesterday, and I was his first guest to try it today (at 2pm). I was bummed, but happy someone else bought my ice cream today!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

I grew up about a half an hour from Disneyland. It was the go to place for school trips, often for friend's birthdays, etc. So I know all about the fun that can be had. :)

Anyway, I am more excited for his first experience (he is 12 months) than mine. I know it's a different park with different experiences, but I have had many good times at Disney. At this point I would just be coming along for the ride. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on a trip out to Disney World just for me.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I'm pretty happy to read this, I'm an annual pass holder at WDW, but personally, I wish they'd allow pass holders tie a credit card to the magic band. I'm not a fan of bringing my phone with me into parks, especially the water parks.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
It didn't work to rent a locker at DHS, and that ended up being the only place I tried today. He said they had issues yesterday, and I was his first guest to try it today (at 2pm). I was bummed, but happy someone else bought my ice cream today!

I read that not all places in DW will be compatible. Those rent a lockers usually use a kiosk, and they probably wouldn't upgrade those to NFC first (or at all). They also mentioned that restaurants that have dining in wouldn't accept NFC type payments (at least at the start).

Apple pay for me is neat. But it won't replace cash and plastic for years, and never 100%. It's a start.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'm pretty happy to read this, I'm an annual pass holder at WDW, but personally, I wish they'd allow pass holders tie a credit card to the magic band. I'm not a fan of bringing my phone with me into parks, especially the water parks.

If you stay at a resort you can. When we stay on site you're able to link your Magic band.

With Apple pay though it'd be cool if the iPhone could be used as you would the Magic band. Use to get in the park. Fast passes, etc.

skyking517

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
So Saturday we drank around the world. I was able to use Apple Pay in all the countries accept China and Japan. In China I raised a little stink, but whatever, when we got to Japan I was told that China and Japan are still owned by a private company and not Disney, not sure if that is true or not. All the terminals also now have the NFC symbol, but not those two.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Looks like Disney is accepting a few of the big mobile payment platforms now. I'm looking forward to trying it next month myself when I'm visiting Disney World.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
No go at the Yak & Yeti counter service in AK last night. He thought it was all of AK that wasn't accepting it, but it saw the stickers on the terminals in a store. The kids were using gift cards, so I didn't get to check anywhere else.

And funny on that, my 10yo wanted to know why she couldn't load her GC to her magic band! cracked me up she thought of that on her own.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I wanted to update that I rented a locker at the MK on Monday via AP, and the $5 credit posted to my account this morning without issue.

I hadn't expected a problem, but I know some were wondering about refunds. She also wasn't sure about doing it - i was her first apparently. But i just held it up there and the register knew what to do.

I used it to buy a child a drink too - which worked fine, but I was irritated that the cart wasn't taking gift card payments since she was supposed to buy her own! So I had her use the gift card later to buy me ice cream. Win for mom :D

Anyway, the locker thing worked just as expected.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Sorry to bump an old thread but it seemed more appropriate than starting a new one...

We recently went to Disney World. My debit card started working with Apple Pay just a week or two before. I've been using it fine elsewhere but while we were at Disney it kept popping up a message that says "use passcode" any time I'd go to pay. Seems like it should then pull up the keypad for me to punch in the passcode on my phone but it didn't (at least not automatically). Wasn't sure what to do at that point so I'd get frustrated and just pull out my card. Any ideas? I'm sure it's something simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.