Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erickj

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Seattle
So I've got my entire iTunes library on an external drive (wireless through the apple router) and have had it all set-up to play everything off of it. I've got nothing on my physical computer.

I was out of town for a couple weeks, came home and booted up the computer, opened iTunes and it needed redirected to the library again (this has happened before occasionally), so I started to redirect as I always have in the past, but this time it won't let me redirect to iTunes Library.xml on the external like I always have in the past. It's just greyed out.

Currently the only thing showing up in my iTunes library are downloaded purchases from the iTunes Store that are, I guess, in the cloud, and no other info. like ratings, play counts, etc.

This is really weird to me, not being able to redirect to my external. When I go through finder I'm able to locate the .xml file and highlight, but when I try to do it through preferences in iTunes, it won't let me, it's just greyed out. I'm attaching a photo for reference. Any thoughts?

I'm on a rmbp 2013 256g

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.58.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 9.58.27 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 150

Sossity

macrumors 65816
May 12, 2010
maybe you could check your router out, has any settings on it changed? maybe your internet connection dropped temporarily? dont know much else, I have never heard of itunes being run wirelessly, I run my library off an external, but I have it connected via firewire.

maybe doublecheck your wifi settings etc on your mac, sometimes this has happened where my laptop would say connected but it actually was not, maybe it needs refreshing?

erickj

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Seattle
maybe you could check your router out, has any settings on it changed? maybe your internet connection dropped temporarily? dont know much else, I have never heard of itunes being run wirelessly, I run my library off an external, but I have it connected via firewire.

maybe doublecheck your wifi settings etc on your mac, sometimes this has happened where my laptop would say connected but it actually was not, maybe it needs refreshing?

Yep, tried all that. Reboots, settings, etc. Nothing has changed, and nothing seems to be working. It's quite easy to run iTunes wirelessly, either through a wireless router or wireless hard drive.

I can connect to all of the other files on the hard drive wirelessly, so I know it's working. It's just this particular part of connecting in iTunes that doesn't want to connect any longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.