Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
I purchased a white/gold iPad air 2 today. I was reading all the threads comparing the three available colors and really thought the white/gold looked sharp. I previously had the white/silver air. I went to Best Buy and they only displayed the white/gold. Can some of you that have the space gray, post some pictures of your iPad while browsing the forums, or going to websites like ESPN.com or also while in a case . Im trying to see if the black border would really bother me or not, as I really think I might swap my gold one for a space gray.

Thanks In advance!!

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I got space grey because I get less distracted with the black bezel. Also screen appears slightly bigger since it matches color with the bezel.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
As a media consumption device for the most part I think that a black bezel is better. It blends into the screen more especially during movie watching.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I like the black screen too. When I got an iPad 2 back in 2011, I tried white trying to be different and go with the "Apple," color. I did not like it. White web pages were pretty nice on it, but otherwise, I didn't like it. Plus, depending on the angle, the white would do that yellow effect.

Of course, many like white, so the choice is yours. I agree with the above comments though.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I've always owned a black iPad, this round I got white and I haven't once been bothered by the white bezel when watching movies or anything else

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
Here's the space grey I have in front of me with the red apple Smart Cover. :apple: I find the black bezel far less distracting than the white on my air 1.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Colors pop on the screen and believe me it's not distracting at all. I tried silver but I couldn't stand it for even one day and exchanged it for SG. Reading magazines and watching videos is awesome on the SG.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Honestly, in low light conditions with a glowing screen, both black and white borders are going to disappear completely from your focus. In the beginning I was afraid that the white would bother me (but I really wanted the gold, hella sassy) but it's barely visible. And it hides fingerprints better, because you know they're going to be all over those black bezels.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I always got iPads with the black screen because I thought that they looked better. I've had the iPad, iPad3, iPad 4 and original iPad mini and currently the iPad mini 2 all with the black bezel. All my iPhones (3G, 4, 5 and now 6) have also been black or space grey. When I ordered my iPad Air 2 I did order the space grey, but when it finally came after waiting a month it was silver. I kept it anyway and really like silver. The white bezel is no where near as distracting as I thought it would be. Since a previous poster posted a photo of their iPad in what looks to be a brown smart case, I am posting these photos with the same magazine covers for comparison

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 155

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I had a gold 5s and it was the biggest mistake I made. When the phone auto dimmed the display the White boarder made the screen look yellow and honestly it bugged me so much I swapped the phone out.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have a white air 1. I'm contemplating upgrading to the air 2. In these pics the space grey looks better. My iPhone 6 plus is space grey so it would be nice to get a space grey air to match. However if I got the silver I'd have all three colours as I do now (iPad air silver, mini 3 gold, 6 plus space grey).

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
Thank you to all that replied! I exchanged my white/gold iPad Air 2 for a Space Gray Air 2 and am so far pretty happy. I still miss the white border sometimes while reading forums such as the one we are reading now, but other than that, I think that I am liking the space gray a lot.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I prefer white as it looks better such as browsing the web, emails and reading. Fingerprints are more obvious on black too. However they both look cool, enjoy your new iPad Air 2 :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I went for the gold, mainly because I was too lazy to go to the Apple Store and went to a local electronics store instead. The Apple Store is about another 15 minutes away lol The store only had 128 GB in gold.

I wanted a white face anyway and it will be a change from my silver air 1.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've been alternating. Original iPad was back (obviously). My iPad 2 was white. iPad 3 was black. iPad Air was white and my Air 2 which I picked up yesterday is black/SG.

I like both the white and the black. No real preference for either. White bezel stays cleaner. Black seems to be less conspicuous. But otherwise I've not found the bezels of either to be more or less distracting for one kind of content vs. another.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
The black iPad used to be great with the old iOS in my opinion iOS6 and earlier all were more of a dark background with a white apple logo. Now on iOS7 + its just an overabundance of white. Ive always gotten the black iDevices, but since iOS7, I prefer the gold/white versions. Id really like to trade in my black 6+ to a gold version.

But the black border is great for video watching. I read somewhere that having the black border tends to help fade it away. A white border kind of pops and can draw your attention. Though I havent noticed a difference in watching videos on my iPad1 (black) compared to my Air2 (gold).

Its all really preference. I personally dont like the space greys, I liked the black.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
The black iPad used to be great with the old iOS in my opinion iOS6 and earlier all were more of a dark background with a white apple logo. Now on iOS7 + its just an overabundance of white. Ive always gotten the black iDevices, but since iOS7, I prefer the gold/white versions. Id really like to trade in my black 6+ to a gold version.

But the black border is great for video watching. I read somewhere that having the black border tends to help fade it away. A white border kind of pops and can draw your attention. Though I havent noticed a difference in watching videos on my iPad1 (black) compared to my Air2 (gold).

Its all really preference. I personally dont like the space greys, I liked the black.
I've had mostly white iPads , and can tell you that I convinced myself that the white looked better, and although when reading forums and pages with white backgrounds the white border does seem to blend, I actually have no problem at all with the Black border on the Space Gray iPad. As another person mentioned, at night both borders are barely visible, however at night the black is not noticeable at all, whereas the white is still visible due to the glare from the LCD. I guess its just personal preference more so than anything. I am definitely happy though with the Air 2, as the fluidness is awesome, as well as the stability while browsing, that seemed to be lacking in the original Air.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I would never have bought a white-bezeled iPad on purpose, because I was also convinced it would interfere and take away the "brilliance" of the screen. When I ordered the iPad Air 2 (it was spontaneous, no research), I picked the silver one, thinking that it would have a black bezel, like the silver iPad 2.

When it arrived, my first impression was, "This goes back." However, it was weekend, so I figured I'd give it a try since it was already there. By Monday, I decided to keep it, because I actually found myself preferring the white bezel when reading forums and e-books, and the absence of a "black hole" around the bright screen seems easier on my eyes in low light conditions. It also seems to work well with the iOS 8 design.

It's totally subjective, though. I've only ever had black devices before, so this is my first experience with a white one -- maybe I only enjoy it because it doesn't feel so same-y and generic. :)

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
I would never have bought a white-bezeled iPad on purpose, because I was also convinced it would interfere and take away the "brilliance" of the screen. When I ordered the iPad Air 2 (it was spontaneous, no research), I picked the silver one, thinking that it would have a black bezel, like the silver iPad 2.

When it arrived, my first impression was, "This goes back." However, it was weekend, so I figured I'd give it a try since it was already there. By Monday, I decided to keep it, because I actually found myself preferring the white bezel when reading forums and e-books, and the absence of a "black hole" around the bright screen seems easier on my eyes in low light conditions. It also seems to work well with the iOS 8 design.

It's totally subjective, though. I've only ever had black devices before, so this is my first experience with a white one -- maybe I only enjoy it because it doesn't feel so same-y and generic. :)

I know exactly what you mean regarding the white border being easy on the eyes. Also as you said, its a change of pace from the "same" border you have had on other devices.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
Well in a surprising turn of events, I had my iPad plugged in this afternoon to charge, and when I went to take it off the charger, I noticed it didn't charge up at all. I plugged it back in and let it charge for 30 minutes, only to find it didn't charge at all.. I tried a couple different chargers and after having no success, went back to Best Buy to exchange it, but they only had white/gold 128. so I guess its back to white/gold I go.

Oh, and the FIRST thing I noticed about having a white iPad again instead of the Black face, is the fingerprints.. I barely see them now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.