Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I have an Apple TV 2 plugged into my Macbook, and iTunes is currently downloading the update. It's been 30 minutes and so far only 14MB have been downloaded of 666MB.

It estimates another 13 hours before it's done. Is there any faster way?

For reference: Some bug hit the Apple TV last year, and it wouldn't let me connect to a wireless network. It also wouldn't drop its DHCP and IP address. I'm forced to use iTunes since it won't connect via Ethernet.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Depending on how fast your internet connection is, it can take a long time to download the Apple TV IPSW. What kind of internet connection are you using?

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Depending on how fast your internet connection is, it can take a long time to download the Apple TV IPSW. What kind of internet connection are you using?

20MBPS via AT&T.

At about 35mb, iTunes said that an error occurred and the file was lost. Incredibly annoying.

I'm trying to download it from Apple's servers via my web browser and ispwdownloader.com, but it is just as slow as iTunes. Anyone know of a better way?

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Every problem you mentioned so far revolves around network connectivity. Sounds more like an issue with your router or modem.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Test speedtest.net just to verify you have a decent connection.

The error indicates a problem on their end. I get the same thing when doing app updates in yosemite on rare occasions. Generally just retrying and it works fine. You may want to try itunes a couple more times over an extended time period.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
i Had the same issue when upgrading to 7.0 (iOS 8) I had to completely factory reset the ATV and use my iPhone 5 to set it back up. After this, the update went lightning fast.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
I have a slow DSL connections that tops out at 300 kb/s; I know I just need to kill myself. :)

I am trying to download it directly and update it in tunes, Im just about getting 90 kb/s from the apple server right now. The limit isn't my connections; its on apple's side.

Maybe its just all the traffic the updates are getting right now. I learned my lesson last time, download it, then install it, tying up the TV for a day for an update isn't worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.