Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbk48942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
i have had a few dreams in the past year about returning to my old school and it being completely different to what it was when i was there , dont know because i never have had any thoughts about returning to my old school in real life.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I routinely dream that I'm in a very, very large city - it varies from being chased through streets that are straight out of Blade Runner to these spotless metropolitan utopias that all bright sun and I'm trying to catch up with someone friendly but always arrive just too late.

I have a rare ability to 'stall' nightmares; I haven't had a bad dream in years because as soon as the dream begins to get bad, my brain pulls me out, but it's in a dream-cognizant type of way if you know what I mean - I don't just jolt awake, me in my dreams is aware that it's not real and I'm being woken up by myself. ¶ Other times I've been being chased by really bad bad guys, and then realize that it's all a dream, so I can fly if I want to - so I fly away from them. It's weird, really. It's like I have my own Mr. Charles. ¶ Once, the dream was heading south and in my dream I saw a ladder - if I climbed up the ladder I'd wake up, and if I kept going I'd stay in my dream. So, it was a bad dream, I climbed the ladder and I woke up.

One dream I have every few years began where I was at a large arena, like crowded concert venue arena, and there was a back room that I went in that was well-lit, clean, and had filing cabinets. Several years later I had the same dream, same place, but it was dirtier and much more crowded with people, and the room was dusty and overcrowded with filing cabinets. Again, a couple years later I went back to the same place, and the door to the room was locked from the inside. Later in another dream, it was accessible only by a hole in the ceiling, and filled floor to ceiling with papers, books, dusty cabinets, etc. The last time I had it the arena was derelict, only a few people milling in the hallways and the whole back end of the building where that room was had fallen in and was inaccessible. ¶ One of these nights, I'll get back there and see what it is I'm trying to hide from myself or run away from...

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamperrin

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
Mine usually are in the same patterns

I either dram about moving back to my hometown, fighting with my mother, or meeting Slash...:D

My mother and I had a very turbulent relationship when I was younger due to her alcohol and drug abuse, and some of the effects are residual to this day.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Periodical I have to same dream over and over again since I was a little boy, Not all the time but every once in while. It cones from my childhood watching old Godzilla movies on the independent TV station in Saturaday afternoons. I am a little boy again the the back school entrance near the tennis first. Then Godzilla comes over the 3000 foot hill( in HHD Godzilla classic scream) and picks up the school and spins it like a basketball and I the wake up. I saw to many of those movies when I was a little kid.

Maybe some wannabe online physiatrists could give some meaning of that.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I have the "I have an exam I haven't prepared for at all" dream. Usually once a month. Level of schooling varies.

I've had my degree for the 5 years and I still get the dream.

srltzz342

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
I regularly dream that I am coursing through a labyrinth of a building. Not sure where the end result is, but I just keep running up and down staircases, through hallways, through doors, passing people I know, and strangers. I'm in a hurry, but I don't know where to or why. Sometimes I find myself in very large public restrooms with hundreds of stalls. I'm not sure how that figures into things, but that's what I usually dream about.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
Hmm. Last night I had a pretty disturbing dream where I attempted to make an eye surgery to myself. Then blood started dripping and I felt great pain, after which I woke up in the middle of the night.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I don't dream, I have nightmares. Wake up screaming once or twice every night.

Renzatic

Suspended
I seem to have a set of reoccurring dreams that my mind goes back to every once in awhile. They're rarely ever play out exactly the same. It's more like they follow a similar theme and take place in roughly the same setting, with a few details changed.

There's a bunch of side roads off in the country that I'm exploring. I always seem to know in the dream that I rarely ever go down these roads, but I'm fascinated by them. It starts out in a swampy area. All the roads have sharp, right angle turns, and connect to each other by a bunch of rickety old bridges. The layout there is always different, and there's always some different reason why I'm there, though it always comes out to the same place. A long, gently curving road in the middle of a big field runs into another road crossways. For some reason, I tend to meet up with someone there who seems perfectly normal, but I feel instantly suspicious when I first meet them. Who they are and where they're at is always different, though the emotions remain the same. He never does anything strange, but I'm wary of him.

I have dreams where I find hidden rooms in my house. Sometimes, they're pleasant. Like I'll happen across a little room with a bunch of my old stuff in there, and think "I remember this place, why haven't I come back here in so long". Other times, they're creepy. I'll find a hidden staircase that leads up to a fully furnished attic room that doesn't look like it's been touched in decades. Everything there seems off somehow. It feels both depressing and malevolent.

I have tons of dreams about these terrible storms. It's more a reoccurring theme, because they're rarely ever set in the same place, but they always play out about the same. I'm both excited and worried about the storm, and I'm trying to get a bunch of people together to take shelter in a place I've found. But they're always lagging behind, or need help with something that I have to hurry through to get them to go. Eventually, I have to start abandoning people to take shelter myself. I usually wake up about when the storm starts hitting.

I have these dreams where I've found a set of connected caves and underground rooms. The entrance is always in a different place. Like it'll be in the crawlspace under someone's house, or in an abandoned factory, or a big drainage tunnel. I'm always super stoked about exploring it, and I usually have a bunch of people along with me to help explore it. Everything we find is fascinating and weird, and we can't believe something like it is in our neck of the woods. We're all a little worried about getting lost, and the deeper we go, the more complicated it becomes, but I keep pressing on to see what else we'll find. I don't think I've ever been lost in the dream, only been slightly worried about becoming so.

...I blame The Goonies, and my basement for this one.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
In reality

Two days ago at home I hung and rehung some pictures. Amongst those pictures, a modern print from a 1681 hand coloured engraving by Moses Pitt – Nova Totius Terrarum Orbis Geographica ac Hydrographica Tabula. It's difficult to find the iridescence captured online … the first two photographs below appear to be more golden than what's on my wall (more golden than what's shown by The Map House of London) but in both, there is a sense of the iridescence. Whoever framed my copy chose a silver background for the silvery print, allowing a well-proportioned silver border of around one inch; and a brushed aluminium frame, inset with a brassy strip. Purchased for entertainment value, probably from the charity shop three doors away from my home. I wouldn't have paid £5; it was probably £1 or £2.

A few hours ago before bedtime for more than an hour, I struggled to get a simple avatar to look good at MacRumors. The system won; I abandoned the battle; I went to bed, and slept.

In dreams

This morning I received an invitation to participate in an AppleSeed project (in the AppleSeed programme (not to be confused with the Apple Beta Software Program in the appleseed.com domain)).

After signing in, everything except the text was wonderfully iridescent and it wasn't necessary to scroll, or move my head, to get the effect; just sitting, staring at the web pages was a really lovely trip. Visualise, if you can, a web site design:
  • less golden than the golden prints; and
  • shimmering, slowly, more subtle than Jony Ive redesigns iTunes
– my view of the AppleSeed programme pages was neither coarsely banded, nor rushed in its movements of those horizontal bands. My view, thank you very much, was more swirly in its shimmers. Swishes of silvery rainbows. And I assumed that the tripped-out view was personalised, by Apple, for my log in.

I saw a listing for a project, and I tried to read the words, but the swirly rainbows made the text somewhat blurry, so I assumed that it was Safari 9 for Mavericks. In reality I could have been annoyed by the lack of legibility but in this dream I was overwhelmingly entertained by the surreality; words and practicality were purely incidental.

I was entranced, as I had been in my childhood when I first watched Jason and the Argonauts. My dream of an Apple web site was an HTML5 equivalent of The Golden Fleece.

Awake

Probably thanks to a gentle press of Pickle cat's nose against my nose. Swirly rainbow purring noises, felt (more than heard), and him squinting in the morning sunshine.

301455145859.JPG 361254697899.JPG

tumblr_moau74VIpI1svn1xeo1_500.gif

(Many of my other dreams are wilder than Jason and the Argonauts … tales for another day, maybe.)​

Last edited:
Reactions: AngerDanger

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Revived thread

I have the "I have an exam I haven't prepared for at all" dream. Usually once a month. Level of schooling varies.

I've had my degree for the 5 years and I still get the dream.
Although I am retired, occasionally I get the anxiety dream. I have not had a traditional nightmare in years, but sometimes I get a dream that has such a negative impact on my job, or life, that I opt out and wake myself up.

But dreams can be fun. :) Several nights ago I dreamed I was wrestling Donald Trump, but not in anger, good natured wrestling for physical dominance. He was not President, but he was trying to force something one me (I can’t be any more specific than that, no not sexual) and no anger involved, but I ended up messing up his hair.

There are Hollywood personalities that make guest appearances in my dreams. Last night, I ended up apologizing to Ted Danson for throwing him off a roof of a 5 or so story building in a large plastic box, yet I did not realize he was in the box, I was just cleaning out a commercial garage apparently I spent time in. Not sure if I worked there.

Then, I overheard a conversation were some other personality (not sure who it was) had been hiding in this box, to spy on the garage, yet I apologized to Ted, who was irritated that I had thrown him off a roof, and he showed me the door. I remember later wondering, wait a second, if he was not in the box, why was he upset with me? :)

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
i have had a few dreams in the past year about returning to my old school and it being completely different to what it was when i was there , dont know because i never have had any thoughts about returning to my old school in real life.
I had dreams about big minimalistic house with my family living somewhere like in a movie :)

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I do not remember when was the last time I've slept without dreaming anything.

All of my dreams are long, and like short movies. Sometimes they feel so real that I need some time to come to my senses upon waking up.

Then, false awakenings are particularly weird, I dream that I have woken up, and that my life continues as usual, like I am really awake.

It is usually some minor detail that makes me feel something's "off", then I wake up. For example, arriving at my work, and realizing there is no parking lot in front of the building.

And when my phone rings, that one is funniest, I never see complete caller ID, just some gibberish nonsense, even if it’s my mother, or friend or anyone I remember calling, it never read as “Mother”, for example, but something like “$i8%*a-p3,???€]+__1”, that kind of crap. It’s fun. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AngerDanger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.