Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I have two questions. First, I know that Outlook 15.4 is out and I want to update from 15.3, but when I go to check for updates, it tells me nothing is available. If I go and download the full 15.4 from the Office site, will an install overwrite all of my current data? I'm new to Mac and I don't want to lose my emails since they are POP, not IMAP.

Second, how do I backup my emails? When I was on Windows, I would go into Import and it would give me an option to backup from there, but there is nothing in Outlook 15.3 that does this.

Any help would be appreciated.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have two questions. First, I know that Outlook 15.4 is out and I want to update from 15.3, but when I go to check for updates, it tells me nothing is available. If I go and download the full 15.4 from the Office site, will an install overwrite all of my current data? I'm new to Mac and I don't want to lose my emails since they are POP, not IMAP.

Second, how do I backup my emails? When I was on Windows, I would go into Import and it would give me an option to backup from there, but there is nothing in Outlook 15.3 that does this.

The installer didn't touch my email, but especially with POP, it's critical that you keep the computer backed up. You should at a minimum configure Time Machine to back up to an external disk, that way you're protected when your disk fails.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Sorry, but to be clear. If I download the full install of Outlook (now 15.6) and install it over top of 15.3, it won't delete the emails that are on my Mac?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry, but to be clear. If I download the full install of Outlook (now 15.6) and install it over top of 15.3, it won't delete the emails that are on my Mac?

The installer shouldn't delete your mail. That's the best I can give you.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014

Offering an explanation to your second question, there is no command available to backup or export content in Outlook 15 yet, which is also explained in the "What's not ready" section of the app's Help.

This version of Outlook is, in essence to me, a beta and I'm treating it as such as the app's feature set is not complete as indicated in the app's Help section.

What I do to manually backup is to manually drag a folder to the Desktop, and an MBOX file is created with the same name as the dragged folder. I'll append a date to the MBOX file name for my use in archiving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.