Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little-Kiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
Hi !

I have a macbook "late 2008" that is noisy, over heats and can't handle editing videos on imovie anymore.

I started a youtube channel but since my macbook couldn't do the job anymore, i had to stop. I'd really like to get back into it but i don't know which computer choice to make.

I've been thinking of getting an imac for quite a while now but i'm not sure.

I just got a used macbook air as a secondary option but i'm still looking for the "main computer"

Should i try to reinitialise my macbook and do only editing on it ? do you think it could manage it ? How much ram can it handle? It curently has 8Go and a 256 SSD hard drive. Could it work for iMovie ? and by work i mean at a proper speed?

Or, do i get an imac ? I feel like the 27" is too big but the component are way better then in the 21,5" and, i could buy it with the standard 8Go ram and uprgrade that for a cheaper price tag later on.

Is the iMac 21,5" with 16Go ram, 1Tb fusion drive and the i5 processor good enough for heavy use of iMovie and multitasking? or would i need to upgrade the processor to a i7 ?
I had a look at the mac mini as well but the iris intel whatever graphic chip is a no go for me.

I'm still a student so any iMac would be a huge investment for me that's why i need help.
I would like the best "price/quality" and a great longevity. and a kick ass speed and multitasking.

What would you do if you were me ?
(And please, don't say a windows)

Thank you !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.