Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Hi,
Wondering if there has been anyone with success with the above combination? As a bonus, anyone using this and Goodnotes? I have the above with iPad Air and it is working flawlessly.

Thanks!

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I guess the Air 2 uses new display technology which broke functionality of these "active" stylii. Adonit has a post on their site about it, and it sounds like they're working on it, but right now this impacts pretty much all but the most basic stylii is my understanding.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The Jot Script works ok with the Air 2. I have some issues with it, but overall it works as well as ever, and if you configure all the settings right the Script has the most accuracy between tip and ink on the screen as it has had on any device. The new Jot Touch does not work reliably.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
I have a Jot Touch with pixel point that I love with GoodNotes. I don't think I could give it up! I have a Jot Touch 4 as well. Guess I am sticking with my iPad Air Version 1 for a while! Thanks!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yep, I was really disappointed in the overall stylus performance when I got my Air 2. Goodnotes is fantastic, but I've since moved on to a Surface Pro 3 which is finally getting close to what digital paper should be.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
I tried the Surface 3. It is truly a beautiful piece of hardware. I liked OneNote as well. But I don't want any of the Windows things when I am using a tablet. I want an embedded device that is very stable. I wish Apple would integrate a standard software development kit for the iPad. My battery life is fantastic too with my Air. Is OneNote the only application for the Surface that is similar to GoodNotes?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
OneNote is the only great note taking software for the Surface. In comparison to Goodnotes, it is FAR more powerful which is both good and bad. I've been using OneNote for many years, and need Windows for work, so it's easy to integrate into my workflow. Still, I really like the dedicated simplicity of Goodnotes.

This is my second Surface Pro, and the first time it is really sticking for me. I am a huge, huge iPad fan. I'm on my 4th with the Air 2, upgrading nearly every year after skipping the 2 and 3. You are right; there are certain things that the iPad does far better than the Surface, and others that just take being willing to do them a different way. The battery life is no contest. Yet, in spite of myself, right now, the SP3 is sticking in my workflow far more than I expected. The stylus works how a stylus should. I actually like the bigger screen a LOT more than expected for reading - my Air 2 feels tiny in comparison now. The 3:2 form factor is also awesome - I actually feel like I have a big enough canvas to do real work when I have the keyboard attached, yet have a real paper replacement when I use it as a tablet in portrait.

I have a lot of apps that I can't find direct replacements for on the SP, but for most I am finding work arounds. It has been 6 weeks or so, so not a ton of time, so it's possible I'm still in the honeymoon period. I'm doubting that more and more every day though.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
I agree with you completely about GoodNotes. Its simplicity is the key to its greatness. I do not have to be tied to Windows anymore, so I love using my MacBook Air and my iPhone. I used this combination until I ran across GoodNotes. That was my killer app and pushed me to my first iPad (my iPad Air). I love being able to read PDF's, marking taking notes on it just like if I printed it. It is super being able to take notes like pen/paper, but then put it(the stylus) away and go back to using my finger for all my apps, reading and so on. My iPad Air is like a universal book. A moleskin, textbook, magazine and calendar all rolled into one. For my work pattern I can use a really nice keyboard and a full OS on my MacBook Air, an embedded iOS for consuming information or taking notes. Now with handoff I can even make calls and text from my iPad or MacBook Air. When I am walking around I use my iPhone. They are different but integrated well.:apple:
I hope the if there is iPad Pro it has a stylus option. I wish Apple would copy the Surface except no fans, iOS, some type of active stylus, and a size similar to the Surface Pro.

I try to keep at least one Windows only machine in the house at all times. My wife currently has a ThinkPad that is great. When it is due for a replacement, I will definitely consider a Surface Pro or if Lenovo has one with a stylus option.:)
I really like Microsoft's hardware and the 3:2 ratio was much better in person than I expected. I agree it makes my Air feel tiny. But I still don't really think about it like a tablet. I consider it a laptop, that has a tablet mode. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just love my MacBook Air and would not give it up.

It is nice to see some options and alternatives to just the laptop/desktop paradigm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.