Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hey guys, my iPhone 5s won't charge :mad: well, it does, but I have to shove it in and get it in the right position. The port is pretty clean, so I think there is a problem with one of the pins inside. So, if I make an appointment at the Apple store, what will they do? If I have to get a replacement, how much will it be? Or will it be free?

Thanks!

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Hey guys, my iPhone 5s won't charge :mad: well, it does, but I have to shove it in and get it in the right position. The port is pretty clean, so I think there is a problem with one of the pins inside. So, if I make an appointment at the Apple store, what will they do? If I have to get a replacement, how much will it be? Or will it be free?

Thanks!

Are you sure the problem is the phone port, and not the cable you are using?

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Nope, I tried two cables and both don't work on the phone, but do with the iPad :(

I'm guessing you are out of warranty, if I were you I would make an appointment, and take it into the apple store, I think it would be about $180 or so, depending on the capacity of your phone.

I've been lucky enough to have phones replaced out of warranty for free before, in my case, I never asked for it, they just offered it, it depends on who you deal with.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
I'm guessing you are out of warranty, if I were you I would make an appointment, and take it into the apple store, I think it would be about $180 or so, depending on the capacity of your phone.

I've been lucky enough to have phones replaced out of warranty for free before, in my case, I never asked for it, they just offered it, it depends on who you deal with.

Thanks! And yeah I'm out of warranty :( it's 32 GB, so would it be around 200? Also, would it be a referb?

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks! And yeah I'm out of warranty :( it's 32 GB, so would it be around 200? Also, would it be a referb?

I think it is close to that, but I could be wrong, I can't remember right now, and do not stress the phone been a refurbished, but you will get a "brown box phone"

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I had the same problem and all they did was tighten up the connector, but mine was within the warranty period. See if they will tighten it out of warranty. Takes 5 minutes tops.

Did you by any chance purchase it using a credit card that offers extended warranty coverage?

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
I had the same problem and all they did was tighten up the connector, but mine was within the warranty period. See if they will tighten it out of warranty. Takes 5 minutes tops.

Did you by any chance purchase it using a credit card that offers extended warranty coverage?

Hopefully they'll do that!! But unfortunately no, I paid on a debit card :(

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey guys, my iPhone 5s won't charge :mad: well, it does, but I have to shove it in and get it in the right position. The port is pretty clean, so I think there is a problem with one of the pins inside.

The lightning port collects pocket lint at the end, which prevents the cable from getting in securely. Clean it out with a toothpick before deciding the phone needs to be serviced.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
The lightning port collects pocket lint at the end, which prevents the cable from getting in securely. Clean it out with a toothpick before deciding the phone needs to be serviced.

This happened to me several times as well - cleaing with a toothpick really did the trick.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013

I tried with no luck :(

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Quick question...if I do have to buy a referb replacement, is there a chance I can get it in Space Gray? I have the silver btw. Just curious :)

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada

Thanks!

Take your iPhone to a Genius Bar. Apple will perform a diagnostic test to determine if the battery is defective. If it is, your device will be repaired or replaced at no cost. If it is not, Apple charges $79 plus shipping for out-of-warranty battery service. Good luck :)

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Quick question...if I do have to buy a referb replacement, is there a chance I can get it in Space Gray? I have the silver btw. Just curious :)

No, they wont give you a different colour / model than the one you already have. Its a straight swap like for like, the only exceptions to this would be when they do not have any of the model you require and at this time frame of the 5s they will have plenty of the different versions in stock to meet demand.

Within reason if you are fairly polite and non assuming / demanding - in my experience the guys at the Apple store will help you out if they can. If they go to replace it free they wont even give you a chance to ask for a change of colour ect they turn to the drawer with the replacements and come back and say "we need to swap the handset".

Hope you get it sorted, preferably for free!

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
No, they wont give you a different colour / model than the one you already have. Its a straight swap like for like, the only exceptions to this would be when they do not have any of the model you require and at this time frame of the 5s they will have plenty of the different versions in stock to meet demand.

Within reason if you are fairly polite and non assuming / demanding - in my experience the guys at the Apple store will help you out if they can. If they go to replace it free they wont even give you a chance to ask for a change of colour ect they turn to the drawer with the replacements and come back and say "we need to swap the handset".

Hope you get it sorted, preferably for free!

Thanks! Well, it was worth a shot to ask about the color :) not that I don't like silver, but I wish I would've gotten space gray instead lol. Yeah I hope it's free! If it's free, I don't care what color it is!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks! Well, it was worth a shot to ask about the color :) not that I don't like silver, but I wish I would've gotten space gray instead lol. Yeah I hope it's free! If it's free, I don't care what color it is!

I would do a hard complete backup via iTunes before you head to the Apple store. I would also do a reset on the device to make sure your stuff is not compromised once you know they are going to replace the phone.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
UK here, and my 5S had a charging problem where I had to move the lightning cable to the left whilst plugged in to get any charge.

It was only when I tried a 2nd lightning cable that I realised it was the phone and not the charger that had developed a fault.

My iPhone was out of warranty, but as the fault developed before the warranty expired, Apple phone support agreed to send out an iPhone by UPS and then for me to UPS the faulty handset back.

Apple took a holding fee of the cost of the phone (£720 for 64gb iP5s) whilst the exchange went through.

Unfortunately, the replacement was faulty on arrival, and would keep rebooting with a blue screen, which faded to a black static screen. The phone would then not switch on for maybe minutes or hours and when it did come back on, I would be presented with the blue screen and reboot...

After phoning Apple to vent my concerns over the faulty replacement, Apple were apologetic and said they will send me another handset if I paid a further holding fee.

The original holding fee had not yet been credited back to my bank account at this point and as I could not afford to pay up a further holding fee (would have been £1440 in total) I was left without a working handset for a further 3 days until the first holding fee was credited back to my card.

Because of the further inconvenience, Apple agreed to send me a retail boxed iPhone 6 with one year warranty!

Very pleased with the outcome and overall service received from Apple.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hey guys, first let me thank you all for the advice!! I got it checked out today! There was lint in there I couldn't see! All is well now :eek:

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010

Honestly if it's in good condition then considering the way Apple customer service is there is no reason why you should have to pay to get it replaced. I think it's ******** that you have to pay for a fault in the phone that may have developed over time without you knowing.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
I got the Space Gray b/c they were out of the Silver...lol My wife got the White Gold and I didn't want to get our iPhones mixed up! :cool:

I really wish I got SG! I almost changed my mind last minute before buying the phone, but I just kinda let it go lol. Now all of my future Apple products will be SG :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.