Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nohoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
So, I have been looking into dual mount option again, and i really was thinking about getting a 2560x1440 wqhd or qhd monitor there are various options.. my question is...

Has anyone done this and have experience with this? I did a search and couldn't find the setup I'm explaining.

Any problems with this? The reason I am hellbent on using the 1080p on one is it doubles as a Xbox screen while the main computer would be on the other screen and only double as a monitor when needed meaning I would be able to have the tv or whatever on the 1080p and the computer on the other

Any suggestions are appreciated. I already have a LG27EA63 and would prefer something to match closely but not necessarily the same brand doesn't have to though.

I was looking at the new Dell QHD screens and they seem to have a similar design, also looked into the Asus PB247Q Any other options?

suzyj

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
I run one of mine with an apple thunderbolt display. Works perfectly. My minis have two thunderbolt ports, so I'm tempted to buy a second thunderbolt display, though I suspect I'd get in trouble for that.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So, I have been looking into dual mount option again, and i really was thinking about getting a 2560x1440 wqhd or qhd monitor there are various options.. my question is...

Has anyone done this and have experience with this? I did a search and couldn't find the setup I'm explaining.

Any problems with this? The reason I am hellbent on using the 1080p on one is it doubles as a Xbox screen while the main computer would be on the other screen and only double as a monitor when needed meaning I would be able to have the tv or whatever on the 1080p and the computer on the other

Any suggestions are appreciated. I already have a LG27EA63 and would prefer something to match closely but not necessarily the same brand doesn't have to though.

I was looking at the new Dell QHD screens and they seem to have a similar design, also looked into the Asus PB247Q Any other options?

It will work fine. I ran with an HP 27" ZR2740w (QHD) with an LG 23" 1080P for a long time. A little awkward in that you had parts of the screen where you could mouse over to the other desktop and other parts that you couldn't. The advantage I had over you is that both screens were at least close to the same DPI where as you are going to have dramatically different viewing experiences...

But yes they would work fine.

As for what to recommend, why not try something like the LG27EA83R. It should look fairly close to what you already have but be a QHD screen.

nohoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
It will work fine. I ran with an HP 27" ZR2740w (QHD) with an LG 23" 1080P for a long time. A little awkward in that you had parts of the screen where you could mouse over to the other desktop and other parts that you couldn't. The advantage I had over you is that both screens were at least close to the same DPI where as you are going to have dramatically different viewing experiences...

But yes they would work fine.

As for what to recommend, why not try something like the LG27EA83R. It should look fairly close to what you already have but be a QHD screen.

Thanks so much for the response, the DPI issue is more of the problem that I am wondering about.

Im leaning towards the Dell or the Asus, I don't think the wife will justify me spending $300 more for the LG logo lol I wish they weren't so priced heavy.

Glad to see some response about the situation though.

----------

I run one of mine with an apple thunderbolt display. Works perfectly. My minis have two thunderbolt ports, so I'm tempted to buy a second thunderbolt display, though I suspect I'd get in trouble for that.

Thanks for the input,

I run the current monitor with HMDI---> DVI and leave the open HDMI port for the Xbox.

The Second monitor would be ran from Thunderbolt to Minidisplay hence why I'm leaning towards the Dell QHD @ around the $500

On a side note, they also have a Dell QHD @ a $500 price alongside a few other brands, then they have a Dell/LG at around an $800 price tag. Any huge difference in products as far as build quality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.