Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
"Mac os x can't repair the disk

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to file on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat as soon as you can."

I just saw this message pop up on two external drives that live in an enclosure of 4 3TB drives(12 TB in total):

The 4 drives in the enclosure work independently and are not raided in any way.

The 4 drives are in a startech.com enclosure connected to 2 x2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Via esata cable.

Luckily the drives mount okay, and I'm currently backing up the 6TB.

Has anyone seen this before?

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
"Mac os x can't repair the disk

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to file on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat as soon as you can."

I just saw this message pop up on two external drives that live in an enclosure of 4 3TB drives(12 TB in total):

The 4 drives in the enclosure work independently and are not raided in any way.

The 4 drives are in a startech.com enclosure connected to 2 x2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Via esata cable.

Luckily the drives mount okay, and I'm currently backing up the 6TB.

Has anyone seen this before?

The drive is most likely hosed. I had the same problem in my Mac Mini (data doubler) with the 1TB platter drive giving the same error. I copied all the data off, reformated, copied back on. Then the issue reappeared 2 weeks later. I ended up pull the data off, replacing the drive, and all is well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Before you write the drives off, I suggest you re-initialize them, then run Disk Utility's "repair disk" on them several times in succession.

If (after re-initialization) you get 5 or 6 "good reports" when running "repair disk", I would consider the drives ok to use SO LONG AS YOU KEEP THEM BACKED UP.

Or, just use them for "scratch" (non-essential) storage -- stuff you keep around but could "stand to lose"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.