Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Going on road trip with 2 boys. They each have a mini. We are interested in buying a movie or 2 from apple store and then playing the same movie at the same time, for them to watch (each holding their own mini but movie is at the same point) in the back seat. How can we get the 2 iPads to start the same movie at the exact same time, so that the sound is not a few seconds behind....which would be uber annoying?

We are not interested in just starting the movies at different points and having them wear headphones. So, is this an alternative? I hope I'm not totally confusing everybody. Lol. And,thanks.

HunterGather

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
You could just press play at the same time and it should be fine if they they aren't constantly pausing or anything.

But I don't believe there's any sure way to synch it with an app or settings.

Maybe just get a headrest thingy so 1 ipad is in the center space.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The headphones really are the best idea. Trying to get both devices exactly in sync is going to be tough.

Second best would be to turn off the sound on one, and route the sound on the other through the stereo via aux wire or bluetooth. Press play on both devices at the same time, whole car hears one sound feed.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Just use headphones. What's going to happen if you manage to start them in sync....then one of the boys touches the screen and pauses it or scrolls ahead? You going to pull the car over and re-sync? lol going to be a long trip.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
You could do this:

Walmart and best buy sell 9" tvs that play same source.
If you can get iPad out to RCA you would be ok. Not sure how this would handle audio.

I think your best bet is to output audio from one to your radio or bt speaker, and play the other one mute...NAND hit play on both at same time....

Or teach them to share.
Good luck brother

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.