Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CiscoKid!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
I just shot a bunch of RAW photos on my new Canon 6D and I get the Unsupported Image Format warning on Aperture...
How do I import and manipulate my RAW photos on Aperture 2.6???
I can see all the thumbnails; I just can't open them.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I just shot a bunch of RAW photos on my new Canon 6D and I get the Unsupported Image Format warning on Aperture...

It's Aperture 2.6, not 3.6? What OS are you using?

CiscoKid!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Aperture version

This is an older Mac and an older version of Aperture.
Mac OS is 10.5.8
Aperture is 2.6
Thanks!

----------

Mac OS is 10.5.8
Aperture is 2.6
Thanks!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Which version of RAW support do you have, I'd suspect that the 6D is only supported by a later version of Camera RAW than you can have on that OS, or you can have it but Aperture 2.6 can't read it - but I think the first option.

Solution would be to revert to a supported camera or upgrade the OS and Camera RAW.

You see the thumbnails because they are jpeg and almost anything can read those.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Mac OS is 10.5.8
Aperture is 2.6
Thanks!

----------

Mac OS is 10.5.8
Aperture is 2.6
Thanks!

Unfortunately this OS and Aperture are too old to use the 6D files. You need to be on at least 10.7.5 with Camera Raw update 4.0.3 to work with them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
RAW processing is done via the OS, and since you have a much older operating system, the RAW file format is not supported. You'll need to see what it will take to upgrade to a later version of Aperture and OS X.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
RAW processing is done via the OS, and since you have a much older operating system, the RAW file format is not supported. You'll need to see what it will take to upgrade to a later version of Aperture and OS X.

+1

Rule #1 with RAW files is that when you update your camera you must update your RAW converter to one that is newer than the camera.

Rule #2 with RAW files is that if you are using Apple software on MacOSX your RAW converter is the OS, not the application, thus it is the OS the must be newer than your camera.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I think trying to go DNG or TIF is ignoring the core problem....the OS is simply too old if iPhoto or Aperture are to be used.

If possible for the hardware, update to Yosemite and latest Aperture release. If your hardware is so old it will not run Mavericks or Yosemite, time to plan the hardware replacement. Even if a Mac still boots, that does not make it a good thing to have if you can't run the desired apps.

If you can't run new OS, you can migrate to LR 5. But Adobe has already stated that LR 6 will for 64bit OS releases only. So again, it you can't run a 64bit version of Mac OS, time to plan the replacement.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
For older hardware, I'd recommend sarge's solution: convert to DNG using Adobe's free dng converter.

I use this method when I have to edit D600 images on my 2007 Macbook (which is runing OS 10.6.8, which doesn't support the D600 NEF files).

The converted dng files import perfectly fine into Aperture and the image quality of the conversion is not an issue. However, the conversion does take time, so this is definitely a less than ideal solution.

I only need to use my Macbook for in the field editing very infrequently so I can't justify the purchase of a newer laptop (I have a new Mac Mini at home running the latest version of Aperture, which natively supports the D600 files).

If you frequently need to edit images on your laptop I would recommend updating your hardware and OS.

Hope that helps making a decision.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If possible for the hardware, update to Yosemite and latest Aperture release. If your hardware is so old it will not run Mavericks or Yosemite, time to plan the hardware replacement. Even if a Mac still boots, that does not make it a good thing to have if you can't run the desired apps.

If you can't run new OS, you can migrate to LR 5. But Adobe has already stated that LR 6 will for 64bit OS releases only. So again, it you can't run a 64bit version of Mac OS, time to plan the replacement.
This. Even if you migrate to Lightroom 5 instead of Aperture 3, you're just hanging on by the skin of your teeth because you already know that the next version won't run on it. It's time for a new machine.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've had issues with Aperture rendering DNG files, so this is not guarantee. Plus I hate using a proprietary file format, this can burn you in the long run, when you no longer have your original RAW files.

To be fair, raw files are as proprietary as DNG. Otherwise, Aperture's DNG support is not on par with its native raw handling so if I were doing a lot of image editing on that computer, I'd look at updating the necessary parts of the workflow to be more compatible with the EOS 6D.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
To be fair, raw files are as proprietary as DNG. Otherwise, Aperture's DNG support is not on par with its native raw handling so if I were doing a lot of image editing on that computer, I'd look at updating the necessary parts of the workflow to be more compatible with the EOS 6D.

'tis true. In fact RAW are even MORE proprietary than DNG, which is an open spec. But I expect the point is that DNG is not as raw as RAW, if you will.

Some of the open source software might run on a very old machine and be able to convert the RAW. Rawtherapee, eg, goes back to OS 10.6. Or maybe you could make a Ubuntu boot drive with Rawtherapee and batch convert.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
'tis true. In fact RAW are even MORE proprietary than DNG, which is an open spec. But I expect the point is that DNG is not as raw as RAW, if you will.

Some of the open source software might run on a very old machine and be able to convert the RAW. Rawtherapee, eg, goes back to OS 10.6. Or maybe you could make a Ubuntu boot drive with Rawtherapee and batch convert.
All of these are crutches, not solutions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Yup, but I'd rather have the what came out of the camera then the DNG file that may or may not be supported. I've had issues with DNG once, it scared me away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.