Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snail22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
I used to get an alert when my battery was low, and I can't find an option to turn this back on (running Yosemite).

Also, my MacBook shuts off at about 10%... shouldn't it last a little longer?

I have the late 2008 unibody MacBook with a removable battery, which I replaced a couple years ago.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I used to get an alert when my battery was low, and I can't find an option to turn this back on (running Yosemite).

I have the late 2008 unibody MacBook with a removable battery, which I replaced a couple years ago.

My low battery alert pops up at 10%, maybe yours is just shutting off before the alert, in which case it looks like a battery calibration issue??

Reactions: robvas

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Try calibrating your battery. The instructions are in the CALIBRATION section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Popup top right of the screen, I get one at 10% and another at 5% from memory, haven't run it that low in a while.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
No idea, my speakers are normally muted so if I'm not on headset I wouldn't hear it. If you are really interested just run you Mac down until you get the alert(s).

hp79

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Portland
You could use an app called Battery Monitor by Rocky Sand Studio. It's free, and there's some nag screen initially but doesn't come back after couple times. You can customize when you see the low alert and also high alert. I keep mine at 20% and 70%. Since I have a old late-2013 rMBP13, I can place a small piece of tape over the MagSafe's center pin to stop charging the battery, and that's how I keep it plugged in most time while keeping it between 40-70%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.