Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan246

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I got this ipod today and it turns on but all i get is the sad ipod icon the hard drive spins up clicks and spins up again i was trying to get into disk mode but all i get is a folder icon and this it says ok to disconnect so can anyone help me

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
Sounds like a broken hard drive. It can be replaced, or alternatively, you could upgrade it to a flash hard drive which is solid state, meaning that it won't break.

jantoman

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
Italy
Try to put it in Test mode: reset the iPod pushing Home/Select and Menu keys, then as soon as Apple logo appears push Home/Select and Previous keys. If you can't do it, your motherboard is probably toasted, AFAIK. If it works, perform all the tests just to check what's wrong: you'll probably find some faults in the I/O section, under the Hard Drive menu. It could be the HD, the drive connector on the motherboard or some defective ICs.
In the last few days I fiddled with some iPod Classic boards and one of them couldn't even enter the Test mode, so I guess it was cold dead... but I could be wrong. Any iPod experts/Geniuses around here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.