Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Hi,

I have just received my new R-imac as well as a refurb mac mini that I will use as hub for home theatre.

1) R-iMac will be my main computer.
2) Mac mini will act as hub for Home theatre, as a server for other devices, and as a NAS (will also connect to secondary screen for use as second mac)
3) Old 2008 iMac will be cleaned and set up in kid's room
4) Currently use prior generation 2TB Time Capsule as router and backup, with +1 Extreme in front room to act as repeater and connect to home theatre etc.
5) have multiple USB hard drives (WD+ Mybook 4TB, Seagate wireless plus 2TB, Seagate backup plus slim 2TB)
6) currently have a couple of ATV's.

R-iMac will be main computer, so want to import files in and work on them, and as have a 3TB Fusion Drive, plenty of room for internal storage. That said I would ideally like to keep Photos and videos accessible via this mac for editing and viewing, but could happily keep the large majority of media on an external drive (just need to ensure I have backups etc)

first things first - I have a fully (and I mean fully!!!) maxed out hdd on my old Mac, so would be keen to get the files transferred to my r-iMac - what is the best way to do this ?

once data is on my r-imac (is there a way that I can replicate this content into the mac mini - so that the mac mini holds all photos from all devices that are used (not sure if there is any way to sync, or if I just have to have separate iPhoto libraries etc and manage copies over etc.??)

for my i tunes - presumably if I sign into mac mini, and r-imac with same apple id - i should get access to same iTunes content?

for movies, tv shows and others that I have put in my local iTunes library (but not bought from iTunes store etc) - do I just copy from old iMac -to - r-imac - to - Mac mini. and then once in mac mini, any other device should be able to see via home sharing?

for external access to same movie content and even photos - would setting up PLEX be the best way forward, and use the mac mini as a server? (assume I need to buy OS Server for this as well?)

should I connect the R-imac directly to internet via ethernet connection - or will this prevent mirroring etc to front room ?

is there any real need for me to upgrade my Apple Time capsule to current generation and .ac wifi......or will this make little difference.

lots of questions - but appreciate all advice

thanks

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
....also, if using plex.... Do I put server on the Mac mini and clients elsewhere .... And do I bother with the home theatre download?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
....also, if using plex.... Do I put server on the Mac mini and clients elsewhere .... And do I bother with the home theatre download?

Plex Server would go on the Mini probably (if that's the host of the media files). If you're going to have it hooked up to the TV, install Home Theatre on it, too. Very nice controls on the TV this way. If you're intending on just connecting to the server using another client (like iOS via Airplay, Roku, etc...), you don't need home theatre on the Mini.

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Plex Server would go on the Mini probably (if that's the host of the media files). If you're going to have it hooked up to the TV, install Home Theatre on it, too. Very nice controls on the TV this way. If you're intending on just connecting to the server using another client (like iOS via Airplay, Roku, etc...), you don't need home theatre on the Mini.

Thanks - yes will use the Mac mini as the host for other devices, as well as directly connected to HT amp.

Having a few challenges with audio via HDMI.... Only appears to pass video, and have to use the optical connection ... Which means I have to go direct to tv for picture, and via amp for sound.

( same hdmi cable works fine when used for Apple TV)

... Anything I can change in settings ... Just not sure why this wouldn't just work out of the box?

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
checked the Output tab in Sounds (in Mac mini system preferences), and HDMI was not listed??

just has:
1) Digital Out - Optical digital-out port
2) Apple TV - Airplay.

any ideas???

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
checked the Output tab in Sounds (in Mac mini system preferences), and HDMI was not listed??

just has:
1) Digital Out - Optical digital-out port
2) Apple TV - Airplay.

any ideas???

...and now i check and it appears...go figure!!

...will keep an eye on this, but hdmi now passing sound and picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.