Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
When encoding an HD timeline thru compressor to a 720P format for Vimeo, I keep running into this error: Failed: Error: RenderFrameAt returned: -1 for absolute frame: 38784.

I'm running FCPX and compressor, latest updates, on a new Retina iMac and I had the same errors on my older iMac. What does this mean?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
When encoding an HD timeline thru compressor to a 720P format for Vimeo, I keep running into this error: Failed: Error: RenderFrameAt returned: -1 for absolute frame: 38784.

I'm running FCPX and compressor, latest updates, on a new Retina iMac and I had the same errors on my older iMac. What does this mean?

In my experience, rendering a full quality MOV from FCP and then using that to transcode to a file for upload is the way to go.

Also, it is worth experimenting with different programs for encoding videos. You might find that Compressor has the issue you reported but another program, like MPEG Streamclip, does not.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I may be going down the wrong track here, but do you have Perian installed?

No, I do not have Perian.

The footage was imported from an HD tape camera. I'm wondering if that may have something to do with this problem. I will try saving it as a full quality .mov file first and report back.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
In my experience, rendering a full quality MOV from FCP and then using that to transcode to a file for upload is the way to go.

Also, it is worth experimenting with different programs for encoding videos. You might find that Compressor has the issue you reported but another program, like MPEG Streamclip, does not.

You are correct. I "shared" the project as a master-file and then Compressor worked on it ok. I see there is also a Vimeo option under share, so I guess I can bypass Compressor altogether. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.