Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liontamer67

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
Okay I am about to beaten up by my 7 year old son and my 9 year old daughter. My husband is no help. I am the computer guru or was until mac took over my brain in 2006 and all went to hell. Before I could put a computer together like nobodies business. Now I am a mom with mush brain. Yes probably like your mother.
Anywhoooo....what I want is to form a social minecraft club here in my house...yes my kids are geeks and this is my way of getting the to socialize. Sneeky eh? Eh maybe not. I am not that stealthy. Okay. Yes I know I could get us set up on a local network here at my house on my mac I have here.
My problem though is well...what if we are out of town and the other kids want to hold it over at someone elses house? I am looking to only have less than 10 kids on this thing at a time. So can someone walk me through what I need to do to get a server set up that isn't on my computer...guessing i need to pay for space somewhere and also would like it to be pretty safe and no weirdos getting on. Besides we will always have mommy's around playing on it to...well maybe after some wine. So who wants to walk my cute ass through it?? wink wink?? Thanks! Oh and it would be nice if ipad and computers could use but if only computers than thats the way it will be!;) oh and hell no to the xbox.

Attachments

• Beth&Deb.jpg
    Beth&Deb.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 512

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
You can set up servers on a website you own? Most likely you will have to pay if you want to be able to play away from your laptop. Its real easy to set up on your computer

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
how much do you want to spend?

And what is your Linux background, cli preferred.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-a-minecraft-server-on-linux

Here is a guide for setting up a Linux based minecraft server. Posted conveniently by digital ocean. Who if you work around their site sell online server services on a monthly basis.

They offer cheap to expensive plans to host a server of your choice in the cloud. The cheap plans will be limited in size but with a command line only server....you don't need massive space (depending on needs ofc...you won't need a 1 tb san in background to run a minecraft server for sure lol).

Gets good reviews by many. Looking at them to host some servers I just get tired of lugging the MBP around to run when away from home tbh to use my virtuals I have in parallels.

You can ofc look at other online cloud services like this. Digital ocean I just like since I they have lots of easy to follow guides that apply just as well to my local installed test Linux servers as well as the online servers you'd setup if a customer of thiers. A nIce touch I like about them...they could hide these guides to only paying customers but make this open to all.

CaptJolly

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
Mcpowerhosting.com

Try mcpowerhosting.com. its worked good for me for about a year now. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sorta thing, but I set mine up for the same reason as you. It was pretty simple as well as I remember.

CaptJolly

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
Ipad and laptop

Forgot to mention...the iPad edition of minecraft (what they call the pocket edition)is not compatible with the desktop version, I don't think there is any way to get them to play together...if there is its news to me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
LOL, not to rub it in, but I've been in the exact spot as you. :) I've got a Grandson who lives 900 miles away and wanted to be able to play with him without paying an xbox live subscription. I tried several times to make a server according to online guides (on my PC). They-Did-Not-Work for me. So i'll be following along with this thread. I'd do one on my Mac too, if it will work.

Fuith

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland
I've done this myself on my mac and the instructions on the Minecraft wiki are pretty good.

From the wiki:
Setting up the Minecraft server
Ensure you have followed the download step before proceeding.

Create a folder, if you haven't already, and put minecraft_server.jar into it. For example, create a folder on the Desktop named minecraft_server and drag the jar file into it.
Open TextEdit, set the format to plain text (Format > Make Plain Text), copy and paste in the following:
#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
exec java -Xms1G -Xmx1G -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
Save the file as "start.command" in the same folder as minecraft_server.jar.
This will give the server enough RAM to run. The amount of RAM can be changed by editing the 1G to something else, such as 2G for 2 GB.
Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal).
Grant execute permissions on file start.command to Owner, Group. and Public. To do so, type in chmod a+x , with a space after it; drag and drop the start.command file into the terminal window; and then press enter. (This gives run permission to the start.command script.)
Double-click the start.command file to start the server.
A new Terminal window will open and, the first time you run the script, several error messages about missing files/directories will appear. This is normal. You're now ready to configure your server.

You will have to open the eula.txt file in the folder and edit it by changing the "eula=false" to "eula=true" and you can remove the "nogui" from the start.command file if you want a user interface window to pop up. Computers will only be able to join when the server is running. To stop the server type "stop" in the Terminal or user interface interface when done. If you're planning on having 10 players, you may want to allocate a bit more RAM to the server.

Now, for playing on the local network, open your System Preferences->Network and under where it says "Status: Connected" you will see "Wi-Fi is connected to XXXX and has the IP address 192.168.1.xxx" (Usually anyway). To let other computers on the local network to join the server they will have to go into Multiplayer in Minecraft and add the server with the address 192.168.1.xxx. If your IP address is allocated dynamically the xxx number will change from time to time.

Try that and see how you get on, there's a little bit more work to let any computer join your server, but if you get this far that's the majority of the work done.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I've setup a community MC server at my house. Here's what I did:
1) Hacked together a computer from NewEgg ( spent about $1000US )
2) Plugged it in to our AirPortExtreme Server and gave it a static IP
3) Put ubuntu ( the standard desktop version ) on the 'server'
4) Put X11 on ubuntu for remote access via my mac
5) Downloaded the .java version of the MS server on to the 'server'
6) Forwarded my ports
7) typed in 'what is my IP' and passed that out via email. We run between 5 - 30 people at the same time with no problems, hosted over a 30MB line

The IP will change every 2 or 3 months, I just send it out via email. No charge or cost, except for the computer. If you have a fairly good computer sitting around the house, wipe it and put ubuntu / minecraft on it for little to nothing.

Archeus

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Fairly simple.

I have an old iMac that we were on the verge of selling, but decided to keep. I did a search which led me to:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server

I followed the Mac OS instructions, downloading, copying and pasting, and doing whatever else was required. I believe that I assigned my new server computer a static IP using Airport Utility. I'm sure that these instructions are also easily found on the web.

I think that the whole process took me 30 minutes or less, with no previous experience. Now my son and I can play Minecraft on the same server indefinitely, for no additional cost.

Good luck to you.

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
Since you said you don't want it to be on a computer in your house, I think your best bet is to use Realms, which is $13/month. It's already built in to the Client, so there's no configuration or anything. Computers and iDevices will still be separate, though, I think.

Here's the main Realms page, there's a FAQ at the bottom.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've done this myself on my mac and the instructions on the Minecraft wiki are pretty good.

From the wiki:

You will have to open the eula.txt file in the folder and edit it by changing the "eula=false" to "eula=true" and you can remove the "nogui" from the start.command file if you want a user interface window to pop up. Computers will only be able to join when the server is running. To stop the server type "stop" in the Terminal or user interface interface when done. If you're planning on having 10 players, you may want to allocate a bit more RAM to the server.

Now, for playing on the local network, open your System Preferences->Network and under where it says "Status: Connected" you will see "Wi-Fi is connected to XXXX and has the IP address 192.168.1.xxx" (Usually anyway). To let other computers on the local network to join the server they will have to go into Multiplayer in Minecraft and add the server with the address 192.168.1.xxx. If your IP address is allocated dynamically the xxx number will change from time to time.

Try that and see how you get on, there's a little bit more work to let any computer join your server, but if you get this far that's the majority of the work done.

How about access over the Internet?

I've setup a community MC server at my house. Here's what I did:
1) Hacked together a computer from NewEgg ( spent about $1000US )
2) Plugged it in to our AirPortExtreme Server and gave it a static IP
3) Put ubuntu ( the standard desktop version ) on the 'server'
4) Put X11 on ubuntu for remote access via my mac
5) Downloaded the .java version of the MS server on to the 'server'
6) Forwarded my ports
7) typed in 'what is my IP' and passed that out via email. We run between 5 - 30 people at the same time with no problems, hosted over a 30MB line

The IP will change every 2 or 3 months, I just send it out via email. No charge or cost, except for the computer. If you have a fairly good computer sitting around the house, wipe it and put ubuntu / minecraft on it for little to nothing.

Is that a dedicated server, or can you play Minecraft on that computer?

Fuith

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
How about access over the Internet?

Log in to your router and make sure port 25565 (Or whatever port is listed as the server port in the server.properties file) is open. Then check your IP address of your modem (Again, from the router config), this is the IP the other players will have to type into Multiplayer in Minecraft. You can edit the whitelist.json in the server folder, and set white-list option in the server.properties to true to allow only specified players to join the game.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Log in to your router and make sure port 25565 (Or whatever port is listed as the server port in the server.properties file) is open. Then check your IP address of your modem (Again, from the router config), this is the IP the other players will have to type into Multiplayer in Minecraft. You can edit the whitelist.json in the server folder, and set white-list option in the server.properties to true to allow only specified players to join the game.

Thanks! I'll try giving this another shot. Before my issues were just getting it to install! What about the dedicated part? Does it have to be a dedicated server or one where you can play on the same computer as the server resides? :)

Fuith

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
Thanks! I'll try giving this another shot. Before my issues were just getting it to install! What about the dedicated part? Does it have to be a dedicated server or one where you can play on the same computer as the server resides? :)

It doesn't have to be dedicated. You can play on the host computer but you will have to enter the local IP of the computer into the Multiplayer option on Minecraft.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It doesn't have to be dedicated. You can play on the host computer but you will have to enter the local IP of the computer into the Multiplayer option on Minecraft.

Thanks for the help. I figure the following is a "no"- can you move a minecraft save game from the Xbox 360 to PC?

milo299

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
Okay I am about to beaten up by my 7 year old son and my 9 year old daughter. My husband is no help. I am the computer guru or was until mac took over my brain in 2006 and all went to hell. Before I could put a computer together like nobodies business. Now I am a mom with mush brain. Yes probably like your mother.
Anywhoooo....what I want is to form a social minecraft club here in my house...yes my kids are geeks and this is my way of getting the to socialize. Sneeky eh? Eh maybe not. I am not that stealthy. Okay. Yes I know I could get us set up on a local network here at my house on my mac I have here.

a model momy, a great idear :) :apple:

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I think you can host a minecraft server without too much work on a $35 Raspberry Pi. A $1000 computer is definitely overkill.

liontamer67

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
wow this thread got busy!!!
Okay here is what I ended up doing. I have a pretty heavy duty pc/mac repair guy that recommended host horde or hosthorde.com
This isn't bad at all at 9 bucks a month. But let me warn you...THIS IS FOR THE TRULY TRULY minecraft CONTROLLER or whatever. I had to ask some other people to help just to set it up. Too much of a pain in the arse!

Then I asked my nephew who is 16 but says he doesn't play minecraft anymore...yet his mom tells me different. hmmm...embarrassed? Not sure.

Okay he told me to go to Realms $13 a month. https://minecraft.net/realms
on Minecraft and was able to set up our own private world. It isn't too expensive. I must tell you though that there aren't many control settings at all on this one. So I paid 25 bucks to get my own minecraft user name and I put our site under my name. There also is not very many tutorials for this.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Question:
How do you seed the server with a particular world? :)

Last edited:

Fuith

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
Question: How do you seed the server with a particular world? :)

Apologies, I haven't been checking the thread. Did you get everything set up ok?

You can set the seed in the server.properties file under level-seed= . You will have to remove the world folder from the directory though if there;s already one there.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Apologies, I haven't been checking the thread. Did you get everything set up ok?

You can set the seed in the server.properties file under level-seed= . You will have to remove the world folder from the directory though if there;s already one there.

Thanks for the info! I've been busy today and here is my contribution: MacRumors Q&D: Minecraft Server Setup Guide.

Please look this over and advise of any obvious errors or misleading statements. I referenced two tutorials that both spoke of configuring a "start command". Could not get those to work from either tutorial. I'm starting my Mac Minecraft server by double clicking directly on the .jar folder and the server launches. And running this on my Mac, I'm able to connect to it from my PC. If familiar, any advice or ramifications regarding this?

Also I'm wondering if when a server is located on the network, if Minecraft running on a different computer, should be able to join it via the netowork/Lan, versus using the server IP address?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.