Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
The 6D, I know it's a few years old now. Is this a good time to pick one up or are there rumors of superior replacements in the near future? Replacements of course that would warrant the same price bracket.

If not, I'm picking one up tomorrow. But don't tell me what I want to hear, lay the truth on me.

Thanks.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Where are you coming from? Are you fixed on Canon?

I'm not married to Canon, I do not own lenses. I learned on a T3i but bottlenecked with high ISO/low light shots.

The proven name the 6D has given itself as a economically reasonably way into a FF camera with good high ISO ability. It's reputation is what has me hot on its trail....

I am aware of it's lack of AF technology compared to other DSLR's. Although not specifics.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I'm not married to Canon, I do not own lenses. I learned on a T3i but bottlenecked with high ISO/low light shots.
In that case I'd look to Nikon.
The D6xx seems to be lower in price than the 6d and seems superior in every way.
Canon's prices are not competitive anymore.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
With all problems Nikon have had lately with oil leaks/dust issue and then not being responsive and deny it until 30.000 people complained I would go with Canon.

Went with a 6D and LOVE the camera. Extremely nice in low light but most important, it has the user interface that I like and can easily use. Like a mac.

I felt that Nikon was more like a PC when I used it. Test results slightly better than Canon but in real life a HUGE difference.

But it is all about what you think is ok. Go to a store and test them. I love the GPS in the Canon when I travel but don't like that it is so hard to turn it off off.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The 6D, I know it's a few years old now. Is this a good time to pick one up or are there rumors of superior replacements in the near future? Replacements of course that would warrant the same price bracket.

If not, I'm picking one up tomorrow. But don't tell me what I want to hear, lay the truth on me.

Thanks.

You could buy a refurbished 6D from Canon and save some cash. I imagine that Canon will introduce a newer version of the 6D in the near future, but it will be a lot more expensive than the older 6D. Buy the 6D now, and use it for several years. But you will need some good lenses for it.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...40731Brand Paid Search-_-refurbished canon 6d

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Don't listen to Meister, he's just a Nikon fanboy. :p

If you can get the 6D at a great price, pick it up...they're a fantastic camera.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Thanks.
You are on the right track. If you buy a refurbished 6D from Canon, you could save some cash. I imagine that Canon will introduce a newer version of the 6D in the near future, but it will be a lot more expensive than the present 6D. Buy the 6D now and use it for several years, at which point you can upgrade again.

Last edited:

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. It's a new unit at a local department store for 2399 comes with the 105 lens.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Thanks for all the replies. It's a new unit at a local department store for 2399 comes with the 105 lens.

All depends on which lens you are referring to. If the lens is the top one on this page (link below), then it is a good deal. Otherwise, a Canon refurbished is just like new, and with a full warranty for a little over $1,400 for the body only. The cheap kit lens is just OK for now I guess, but not the best. Now, over at Amazon I saw the 6D-plus what I imagine-the $600.00 24-105 kit lens for around $2,100.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...anon+24-105+lens&rh=i:aps,k:canon+24-105+lens

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
All depends on which lens you are referring to. If the lens is the top one on this page (link below), then it is a good deal. Otherwise, a Canon refurbished is just like new, and with a full warranty for a little over $1,400 for the body only. The cheap kit lens is just OK for now I guess, but not the best. Now, over at Amazon I saw the 6D-plus what I imagine-the $600.00 24-105 kit lens for around $2,100.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...anon+24-105+lens&rh=i:aps,k:canon+24-105+lens

I believe that is the lens, here is the link, it's best-buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...lack/6776249.p?id=1218807858712&skuId=6776249

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
another pointer for anyone else out there shopping around for one is that be careful about where you shop online.

There are a handful of places selling the same package as my best buy link but it's the model without WIFI or GPS for $1,6XX.00 total.

So actually, BB seems to be a very reasonable price for a new unit, full features.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
is the D6 going to hold it's on for many more years to come?

Processor seems to be really good, possibly on par with 5D3?

equilibrium17

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
6D and 5DIII use exactly the same processor; the Digic 5+, so there is no difference there.

IMHO, the most important difference between the 5D3 and the 6D is the autofocus system. The 5D3 has significantly more, higher quality AF points. How important this is depends a lot on the type(s) photography you like to do.

# and quality of AF points is most important for applications where you're using AI Servo mode to track a moving subject (e.g. sports and wildlife photography). For photographing still or slow moving subjects, the 6D's 11-point system is fine.

There are some other areas where the 5D3 has advantages over the 6D, but AF is definitely the big one. In terms of high-ISO performance, they're virtually identical (I've seen some tests indicating that the 6D actually has a slight advantage in high-ISO). I know one pro wedding photographer who uses 6D bodies by choice over the 5DIII not because they're cheaper, but because they're a bit smaller and lighter, and she doesn't feel she really needs the AF performance of the 5DIII for the type of work she does.

Canon recently announced 5Ds and 5Dr bodies. These are high-resolution (over 50MP) full-frame bodies intended more for landscape and studio work; they're not really designed with high-ISO performance in mind so even without considering the price premium I don't think these bodies are really what you're after.

It's likely that Canon will release at least one more full-frame body before 2015 is out, probably the 5DIV. 6DII is probably also on the horizon, though my personal guess is that any 6DII will come out a few months*after* a 5DIV is released.

Regardless, prices for the 6D have already dropped a fair bit. There are some pretty good deals out there right now so I wouldn't speak against picking one up today if it fits your needs and budget.

As for lens, 24-105/f4 is a very good utility lens to pair with the 6D. Decent range, fairly sharp, not too large or heavy. There are certainly brighter, higher quality lenses available, but they're much heavier, usually have a more limited zoom range, and cost much more.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
6D and 5DIII use exactly the same processor; the Digic 5+, so there is no difference there.

IMHO, the most important difference between the 5D3 and the 6D is the autofocus system. The 5D3 has significantly more, higher quality AF points. How important this is depends a lot on the type(s) photography you like to do.

# and quality of AF points is most important for applications where you're using AI Servo mode to track a moving subject (e.g. sports and wildlife photography). For photographing still or slow moving subjects, the 6D's 11-point system is fine.

There are some other areas where the 5D3 has advantages over the 6D, but AF is definitely the big one. In terms of high-ISO performance, they're virtually identical (I've seen some tests indicating that the 6D actually has a slight advantage in high-ISO). I know one pro wedding photographer who uses 6D bodies by choice over the 5D3 not because they're cheaper, but because they're a bit smaller and lighter, and she doesn't feel she really needs the AF performance of the 5D3 for the type of work she does.

Canon recently announced 5Ds and 5Dr bodies. These are high-resolution (over 50MP) full-frame bodies intended more for landscape and studio work; they're not really designed with high-ISO performance in mind so even without considering the price premium I don't think these bodies are really what you're after.

It's likely that Canon will release at least one more full-frame body before 2015 is out, probably the 5DIV. 6DII is probably also on the horizon, though my personal guess is that any 6DII will come out a few months*after* a 5DIV is released.

Regardless, prices for the 6D have already dropped a fair bit. There are some pretty good deals out there right now so I wouldn't speak against picking one up today if it fits your needs and budget.

As for lens, 24-105/f4 is a very good utility lens to pair with the 6D. Decent range, fairly sharp, not too large or heavy. There are certainly brighter, higher quality lenses available, but they're much heavier, usually have a more limited zoom range, and cost much more.

Great feedback, would you consider 2399 new with that lens a fair buy?

Knowing the 6D will last me 5+ years and still holding its own down the road is something that is important to me. It seems like this is a body that could be taken out of a closet on 6 years and someone would still say "oh damn a 6D thats a great camera, well known".

Is it an icon statement? Although it may sound it, no. I just don't want to purchase the 6D and it ends up like the Macbook Pro line...old news in 2 years.

I want to grow into the 6D, and if it takes me 2 years to do so then fine. But if in 2 years I want to make money on the side I don't to be left with a 2400.00 setup that is inferior to the market. Even if I do not not pursue a light business with it, and remain simply an enthusiast, I still look for the same principles.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

equilibrium17

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Glad to be of assistance.

$2399 is a high for a 6D + 24-105/f4 kit *unless* this price is before applying the currently available manufacturer's rebate -- Canon is currently offering a $550 rebate on this package.

For example, Adorama is currently offering a 6D/24-105 package for $1,939 once the rebate is applied:

http://www.adorama.com/ICA6DKZ.html?adver=new&

You can actually get them even cheaper than this, but you have to go "grey market", meaning it comes without U.S. Warranty. I don't generally recommend this for bodies, which IME have a higher chance or requiring service than lenses.

So I'd make sure the camera is coming with full U.S. Warranty and ask about the rebate; if you can mail in for the $550 rebate after putting down $2399 (which may well be the case), then it's a good deal. If not, then you can do better elsewhere.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Glad to be of assistance.

$2399 is a high for a 6D + 24-105/f4 kit *unless* this price is before applying the currently available manufacturer's rebate -- Canon is currently offering a $550 rebate on this package.

For example, Adorama is currently offering a 6D/24-105 package for $1,939 once the rebate is applied:

http://www.adorama.com/ICA6DKZ.html?adver=new&

You can actually get them even cheaper than this, but you have to go "grey market", meaning it comes without U.S. Warranty. I don't generally recommend this for bodies, which IME have a higher chance or requiring service than lenses.

So I'd make sure the camera is coming with full U.S. Warranty and ask about the rebate; if you can mail in for the $550 rebate after putting down $2399 (which may well be the case), then it's a good deal. If not, then you can do better elsewhere.

I am seeing a $300.00 American Express Card Rebate but not $550.00.

Looks like Adorama is not only wrong with the rebate amount of $550.00 unless I'm missing something, but they are using the rebate to drive up the actual base cost of the kit for their company ($2,489.00 baseline).

So in reality I think the rebate is $300.00 and the final price would be $2,189.00 from Adorama.

As long as Best Buy is a Canon retailer I could get the kit for baseline of $2,399.00 then subtract the $300.00 rebate bringing the final price to $2,099.00 once said and done.

The only thing is, rebate cards can't be deposited back into your bank, First world complaint but just sayin.

Last edited:

equilibrium17

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Im seeing a 300 AMEX card rebate for the 6D on Canons website. Where did you see the 550?

Hmmmm.... You're right; Canon's rebate sheet shows only a $300 rebate for this kit.

However, Adorama specifically quotes a $550 rebate; see the link I posted above.

Not sure where the $250 discrepancy is coming from. It could be a misprint. It could also be that Adorama is offering some kind of additional rebate over and above the Canon rebate. You'd probably need to call them and ask to know for sure.

EDIT: Aha! I see what Adorama is doing. They're throwing a PIXMA Pro-100 Photo printer plus paper in with the 6D Camera and 24-105 lens; the printer + paper makes the bundle eligible for an additional $250 rebate from Canon. Sharp cookies, those Adorama folks; they know how to work Canon's rebate system!

So buy the bundle, get the $550 rebate, and if you don't want the printer dump it on Craigslist for cheap.

Last edited:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
EDIT: Aha! I see what Adorama is doing. They're throwing a PIXMA Pro-100 Photo printer plus paper in with the 6D Camera and 24-105 lens; the printer + paper makes the bundle eligible for an additional $250 rebate from Canon. Sharp cookies, those Adorama folks; they know how to work Canon's rebate system!

So buy the bundle, get the $550 rebate, and if you don't want the printer dump it on Craigslist for cheap.

I vote for getting the 6D now. It's an excellent camera for the price.

And, that Pro-100 is an awesome printer, and an exceptional deal at this price. If you're looking for a photo printer, you can't go wrong with this one.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Been shooting for 38 years and getting paid to do it for well over 20. I had a project where I needed to document fine detail from shots I had one chance to get. Client gave me a 5,000 check to get whatever would do the job and let me keep the equipment as a "tip." I tried everything I could borrow, rent or play with in the few mom and pop camera shops still around. Lots of research and comparison on sites like DP Review and pro sites too. I ended up with a 6D, 2 L zooms, 2 primes, a macro, a flash, 3 extra batteries, and had change left over for a Canon Pro Services subscription along with a few other goodies (filters, LCD protectors, remote, etc). I'm a pixel peeper to end all and this camera does it for me. Sure I'd like the next great thing with 40 something megapixels, 4K60p video, and so on. The 6D may have been announced over 3 years ago, but I've yet to press a shutter button on anything better for the money - and then some.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Don't listen to Meister, he's just a Nikon fanboy. :p
I know I am :D, but Nikon seems to be ahead of the game right now.

----------

If you can get the 6D at a great price, pick it up...they're a fantastic camera.
I'm sure it is. If that's what the OPs heart desires.

----------

Knowing the 6D will last me 5+ years and still holding its own down the road is something that is important to me. It seems like this is a body that could be taken out of a closet on 6 years and someone would still say "oh damn a 6D thats a great camera, well known".

Is it an icon statement? Although it may sound it, no. I just don't want to purchase the 6D and it ends up like the Macbook Pro line...old news in 2 years.

I want to grow into the 6D, and if it takes me 2 years to do so then fine. But if in 2 years I want to make money on the side I don't to be left with a 2400.00 setup that is inferior to the market. Even if I do not not pursue a light business with it, and remain simply an enthusiast, I still look for the same principles.
All FF DSLRs sold in 2015 will hold their own indefinitely down the road. A photo is a photo ;)

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
The 6D is the king in terms of ISO performance, even defeating the 5D MIII.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The 6D is the king in terms of ISO performance, even defeating the 5D MIII.

And even beating the Nikon D610 for the matter.

To the OP, unless you're waiting on the high MP offerings of the 5DS or 5DS R, I would get the 6D. It's a fantastic camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.