Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
First, I wish they would release an iPad around 8.7 to 8.9 inches. A nice medium size. Too many times the Mini is great to hold but the screen isn't large enough. And with the Air the screen size is great but gets tiresome to hold for hours of non stop use.

Secondly, I really wish they would at least offer more than one type of back on the iPad. The metal is slippery and cold in your hand. Maybe they could offer a "Premium" model with, I don't the right term, but with a nice rubbery-plastic backing like the Nexus 7 2013 has (regardless of what you think of the Nexus 7 as a tablet, if you ever held one you know how incredible it feels in your hand).

Between my son, wife and myself we have six tablets (3 iPads, 3 androids) so I am fortunate enough to get to use different tablets ranging in various sizes on a regular basis and see each tablet's strengths and weeknesses. If Apple were to release an upcoming tablet with the two things I am hoping to see, in my eyes at least, it would be the perfect tablet.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Considering Apple's most recent foray into plastic with the 5c, I very much doubt we'll be seeing a plastic ipad anytime soon.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Considering Apple's most recent foray into plastic with the 5c, I very much doubt we'll be seeing a plastic ipad anytime soon.

That is not the type of backing that I am referring to, the 5c used a cheap slippery back (like some of the Samsung phones have used). Plus, the colors apple used on the 5c are hideous. I am talking about the backing that is used on the Nexus 7 2013.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Two very fundamental and obvious things.

1: A LED flash unit for the rear camera to allow you to use it in low light conditions.

2: Stereo speakers that face the user of the device, not just speakers at one end that shoot the sound out away from the user.

Both of these things should have been implemented years ago.

MalooNZ

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
Auckland NZ
Stereo speakers

Definitely stereo speakers - better and brighter screen and less reflection in sunlight - wireless charging - Touch ID - more RAM

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
I want a IPad screen with , 12 inches, hope it will be released this year.Otherwise, I will upgrade to an Air 2

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Ah, i forgot about front facing speakers for my wish list.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
What if they went from 2 sizes to 2 sizes... The 9.7 inch iPad would be done away with as well as the 7.9 inch mini. They would replace them with an 8.something inch iPad with the same 2048x1536 screen. The bezels could be reduced to keep it closer to the size of the mini but still have a large screen. Then they could introduce the 12.something inch iPad Pro which would be more of its own thing, not a more premium iPad 8.x.

So instead of iPad mini and iPad Air it would be iPad <insert new happy medium name here> and iPad Pro.

I think people will be really mad if that happened though. full size iPad owners would be upset with the loss in screen realistate, while mini users might be annoyed by the extra size making it less portable. I personally would love this though because I have an iPad mini and sometimes think it's a little two small, and I'm sick of having the mini get slagged with every release, getting inferior specs and all. With the 8.x size iPad though it would be 1 flagship rather than a flagship and a for some reason "lower end" small iPad. The iPad Pro would be more of its own thing, running a more advanced version of iOS or possibly Mac OS X with a more tablet based UI that is more optimized for performance. They would have the same guts, but the iPad Pro could possibly be clocked just a little faster to deal with the higher res screen and more advanced version of iOS/tablet based Mac OS X.

I just hate seeing the iPad mini get crapped on every release because I would like to continue with the mini size but don't want to get 1 year old specs.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
What if they went from 2 sizes to 2 sizes... The 9.7 inch iPad would be done away with as well as the 7.9 inch mini. They would replace them with an 8.something inch iPad with the same 2048x1536 screen. The bezels could be reduced to keep it closer to the size of the mini but still have a large screen. Then they could introduce the 12.something inch iPad Pro which would be more of its own thing, not a more premium iPad 8.x.

So instead of iPad mini and iPad Air it would be iPad <insert new happy medium name here> and iPad Pro.

I think people will be really mad if that happened though. full size iPad owners would be upset with the loss in screen realistate, while mini users might be annoyed by the extra size making it less portable. I personally would love this though because I have an iPad mini and sometimes think it's a little two small, and I'm sick of having the mini get slagged with every release, getting inferior specs and all. With the 8.x size iPad though it would be 1 flagship rather than a flagship and a for some reason "lower end" small iPad. The iPad Pro would be more of its own thing, running a more advanced version of iOS or possibly Mac OS X with a more tablet based UI that is more optimized for performance. They would have the same guts, but the iPad Pro could possibly be clocked just a little faster to deal with the higher res screen and more advanced version of iOS/tablet based Mac OS X.

I just hate seeing the iPad mini get crapped on every release because I would like to continue with the mini size but don't want to get 1 year old specs.

If they do anything the mini series is toast/history.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I think I size in between the iPad air and mini is too much (we don't need to cover every 1-inch increment like Samsung).

But I completely agree with your second point. Aluminum as a material looks nice and feels premium but from a usability standpoint it is terrible for a tablet. A grippier matte plastic would be both easier to hold and lighter. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon and if it does Apple will probably gimp the specs :-(

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
IMO, keep the aluminum. It gives off that unique premium feel. And the way Apple polishes their aluminum is quite slick. For grip issue, it can be solved by giving case to the iPad. Some people might say it forces consumer to make another spending to give protection to their devices but don't you put extra protection for your rubbery/plasticky device too?

I would want the 8.9" or 9.0" device. I think it's a good balance between iPad Mini and iPad Air. I find the iPad Air to be a little bit too wide for my hands. I can live with it but a 9.0" device would be better to hold.

Honestly the current iPad Air 2 is almost perfect to my liking. Just need to fix the speaker issue.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
We don't put cases on any of our tablets that we have. That would defeat the purpose of buying a lightweight tablet at that point. I just don't see how cold and slippery equals premium. To each their own, I realize not everybody has the same likes and dislikes. This is why I would like to see Apple give us a choice because "one size fits all" doesn't work with things like this.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I also agree that it needs stereo speakers on the front. The speakers on my iPad Mini 2 are so low on max volume that I sometimes just watch videos on my 6 Plus because the volume is actual decent.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I like my Air2 in the Apple leather case and I also like the size. I could get behind the idea of front facing stereo speakers, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.