Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone 6 color option should I choose?

• Black/Space Gray

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • White/Silver

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

AppleGeek1127

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Since my iPhone 5 is roughly 2 years old, I'm due for a new phone. The logical upgrade path would be the iPhone 6.

Currently, I'm using a Black/Slate iPhone 5 and I think it's the sleekest iPhone design ever to leave Cupertino. Sadly, I have run into the common problem of the finish scuffing off and revealing raw aluminum.

This clearly wouldn't be a problem with the White/Siver iPhone 6 - but I find the white bezel distracting while viewing content.

Can anyone tell me if the Black/Space Gray iPhone 6 still scuffs?

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I have a scuff on the space gray 6, and it's not from being dropped. I don't use a case and I'm careful with it so it's disappointing. I've had the phone for a llittle over two months now and I noticed the scuff about a month ago.

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
Some of the display Space Grey phones are actually scuffed in my local Apple Store!

I got the white 6 Plus and was concerned about the bezels at first but I've found when the screen is turned on the white can actually be less distracting than black, especially if you have your phone on the table or are using it in the dark.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I had a black i4 and went for the white i5. No regrets with the colour whatsoever, so I went with a white/silver 6+ this time around. No scuffs as yet, but they would still show up. Maybe not as noticeably as the space grey but ultimately I just prefer the white front. Black phones look dull IMO.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I have a gold 5s and now a space grey 6 plus. I love the sleek look black gives the phone. You cant tell where the screen end making it seem bigger

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 13,696
Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I prefer the black iPhone, because it blends in with my other Apple stuff better, such as the MacBook Pro, and iMac. The white one does not match any of my other Apple items.

Bamff

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
I have a scuff on the space gray 6, and it's not from being dropped. I don't use a case and I'm careful with it so it's disappointing. I've had the phone for a llittle over two months now and I noticed the scuff about a month ago.

Pics Plz. I've read on other threads about the screen scratching, and the aluminum coating rubbing off.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Since my iPhone 5 is roughly 2 years old, I'm due for a new phone. The logical upgrade path would be the iPhone 6.

Currently, I'm using a Black/Slate iPhone 5 and I think it's the sleekest iPhone design ever to leave Cupertino. Sadly, I have run into the common problem of the finish scuffing off and revealing raw aluminum.

This clearly wouldn't be a problem with the White/Siver iPhone 6 - but I find the white bezel distracting while viewing content.

Can anyone tell me if the Black/Space Gray iPhone 6 still scuffs?
Some people get easily distracted by a white bezel and some people like me don't. If you feel you'll find your eyes drifting off the content and getting glued to the fact the phone has a white bezel, my advice would be to go with the Slate Grey option. It seems like the logical choice given your circumstances.

The Slate Grey does not scruff anywhere near as bad as the Black Slate iPhone 5. Obviously it will still mark if mistreated but I doubt you will have issues with it if you are used to your previous phone.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Some of the display Space Grey phones are actually scuffed in my local Apple Store!

I got the white 6 Plus and was concerned about the bezels at first but I've found when the screen is turned on the white can actually be less distracting than black, especially if you have your phone on the table or are using it in the dark.

how can white be less distracting as you don't see the black bezels but see the white? you see any tvs with white bezels?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I own a 27" Samsung TV with a white bezel.
PHP:
Neither Black or White iPhone's have distracting bezels. It is complete nonsense. It is more a psychological barrier than a physical one.

Wow, walk into my local best buy and didn't see one single white bezel tv for sale.

It being distracting or not is an opinion though.

edit-WALKED, not walk lol.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Wow, walk into my local best buy and didn't see one single white bezel tv for sale.

It being distracting or not is an opinion though.

edit-WALKED, not walk lol.
It might be a European/Asian thing perhaps. They do exist and are quite common in my part of the World lol

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...4d391-24-led-tv-white-10010873-pdt.html#cat-0

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...smart-22-led-tv-white-22093823-pdt.html#cat-0

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...b490u-smart-28-led-tv-10001817-pdt.html#cat-0

Yeah as I say I think it is a psychological barrier rather than the component affecting the use IMHO. When I watch TV I am about 15 feet away and the foreground rarely distracts me unless I have a mental toddler trying to climb my legs. It is the same for the phone, I simply concentrate on the screen. :)

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
You cant tell where the screen end making it seem bigger

Actually, having played with them side by side, the white iPhone seems bigger than the black one. Front and back.

I personally have the black one and it seems much more scratch resitant compared to the slate iPhone 5 I previously owned. 4 months on no scratches. However, the space gray color is nothing like the black/slate iPhone 5. I actually like the current silver over it but that only comes with the white front.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I have a gold 5s and now a space grey 6 plus. I love the sleek look black gives the phone. You cant tell where the screen end making it seem bigger

Thats why i got a space grey 6+ as well. The white phone novelty wore off quick for me with my 5S. I have to use a case with my iphones. I find something super thin, but i always use something since the 4 came out. So i had a white gold 5S, and it was always in some black or grey case. So whats the point?

Plus, the black screen always looks so much more natural.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I've been using the space gray model for a few weeks now with no case and I'm scuff free. I haven't dropped it or tossed it around carelessly but I wouldn't nexessarily say I baby the phone either.

Look at it this way: it adds character if it does happen to get marked.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Almost went with white on the 6, but chose Space Gray instead.

My past iPhones have all been white. My first iPhone was a white 4S, then I got the white 5S, now have a gray 6.

It is true that the finish on the white will be less prone to showing scratches and scuffs because it is more a natural color aluminum, so imperfections match the aluminum color and it blends in. With the gold or space gray, scratches will show more easily because when it gets scratched, the raw aluminum underneath the finish will stand out.

Despite all of this, I had my eye on the space gray ever since they came out with the color for the 5S and I do not regret my decision, I like that the front glass is now completely blacked out instead of having the contrasting white bezel/black screen. I do feel white was more "Apple" looking, however there is an unmatched sleekness to the look of the space gray.

And either way, its covered by a black water resistant case so it wouldnt matter the finish. :apple:

AppleGeek1127

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
To make the decision easier, I'm going to add a poll to this thread. People can now vote on which iPhone color option they think would be the best one to purchase.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I have went back to my old iPhone 5 because of how much I have come to dislike the black front of the 6. Never getting a black phone again :mad:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
To make the decision easier, I'm going to add a poll to this thread. People can now vote on which iPhone color option they think would be the best one to purchase.

Why would we vote for what phone you should get? That's crazy. Get what u like. There are enough threads here regarding colour to reveal the supposed pros and cons of each colour.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I prefer black bezels. All of my Notes were white, all of my iPhones have been black. My g/f loves white bezels and her 6 is gold. The one drawback IMHO about the black faced iPhones, or any phones for that matter are it's easier to see fingerprints and smudge marks.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The one drawback IMHO about the black faced iPhones, or any phones for that matter are it's easier to see fingerprints and smudge marks.

Funny that you said that. When I got my 5S in 2013, I originally got the space gray because it was a new color and I thought it looked slick. Once I got it I realized how badly the front glass showed prints and smudges and I returned it for the silver/white 5S.

For the 6, I sort of accepted the prints and just wipe off with a microfiber cloth a few times a day. But the fingerprints and smudges did really annoy me at first! White barely shows them at all. White can also show dirt and gunkb though, in the crevices, that you wont see on the black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.