Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has not provided details on when the Apple Watch might begin shipping to customers beyond the broad "April" launch date shared by CEO Tim Cook, but new information provided to MacRumors suggests the Apple Watch could see a release more towards the beginning of April rather than the end of the month.

According to a reliable source that spoke with MacRumors, Apple is planning to begin moving Apple Watches to centralized distribution points in the U.S. during the first few days of the month, with an Apple Watch release possibly coming during the first full week of April, between April 6 and April 10.

applewatchemojis.jpg
A launch date around this time would see the Apple Watch shipping approximately one month after the company's planned March 9 media event, where it is expected to unveil new details about the Apple Watch. There are many details about the device that the company has kept under wraps, including its prospective battery life and full pricing details on the middle tier Apple Watch and higher-end Apple Watch Edition.

Apple will likely share a specific Apple Watch release date during the March 9 event, and we're also likely to find out whether the company will be accepting pre-orders. With an early April launch timeline, Apple could begin accepting pre-orders during the last week of March.

Apple will be live streaming its March 9 media event, and MacRumors will also be providing live coverage of the information the company unveils about the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Targeting Early April Launch Date for Apple Watch

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Seems like it would be sooner after a March 9th media event. I'm skeptical. Either way, looking forward to seeing one in person.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Before the media event, MacRumors has more than a week to milk or get some more juices on this. Then lot of weeks in-between the actual release. MacRumors is enjoying all of these. :D

Last edited:

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Or they'll surprise everyone and release it in March! I wouldn't put it past them.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I just hope it's ready when released, is all I'm hoping for.

Also hoping for a surprise iPod release still...

st0k3d

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
Bring it on!
Curious to see it, how people will react to it and sales.

My bet is the sport and regular stainless will sell out for months. Certain bands next to impossible to get with HUGE mark up.

Within two weeks flood of knock off 3rd party bands.

The expensive gold will probably be available.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Amazing we haven't seen any leaks of it yet! They must already have manufactured a million of these.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I really like the look of the metal bands but I think I'm leaning towards the sport bands just to keep things lighter. I don't wear a watch now so wearing one will be a big enough change without any added weight. Not that its much but any will be a difference.

Looking forward to it. Already feel a little guilty for spending the cash and its not even out. Its just that I know its on my to-buy list.

----------

Amazing we haven't seen any leaks of it yet! They must already have manufactured a million of these.

What would be in the leak? Its already been shown on stage, on Tim and in ad's. Not being snarky, just curious what a leak would show other than more of what they have already shown us.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If they are officially announcing on March 9 then it seems they are ready to go. Launch an entire month later one one hand gives lots of time for consumer eduction and pumping up the hype meter like the original iPhone.

But launching on the 27th allows for Easter gifts.

Other question is will Apple launch on a Friday or just start on a random weekday. I don't think this one is going to use the iPhone playbook.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple will likely share a specific Apple Watch release date during the March 9 event, and we're also likely to find out whether the company will be accepting pre-orders. With an early April launch timeline, Apple could begin accepting pre-orders during the last week of March.

Why would they not begin accepting preorders immediately after the event?

----------

Where are these centralized distribution points in the U.S.?

In the suburbs of Shanghai.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My bet is the sport and regular stainless will sell out for months. Certain bands next to impossible to get with HUGE mark up.

Within two weeks flood of knock off 3rd party bands.

The expensive gold will probably be available.

It'll be interesting in line when the $349, $599, $1299 watches go on sale... the sport and stainless will be sold out... with a few gold available.

Will some of the desperate buy the gold one just to have one on launch day? (I'm saying something like $1299, because that is 'reasonable' for the gold content. No way it will be much more than that)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My bet is the sport and regular stainless will sell out for months.

No way. That would be an utter and complete disaster for Apple. It wants to sell as many out as possible as fast as possible. There might be supply constraints but it will be a week or two maybe, not months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.